Author Topic: Body mount replacement  (Read 18243 times)

Offline Ben_Greenberg

• Registered Users
Body mount replacement
« on: November 30, 2014, 10:11:25 AM »
Hey guys,
I was under my my newish to me 78 c15 heavy half fleet side and noticed the rubber body mounts are just rotting away. I would like to swap them out for polyurethane ones, what kind of install am I looking at?

Nightmare or not bad?

Do I just back the bolt out and Pop in the new polyurethane and turn the bolt back in?

Any and all help is appreciated! Thanks guys!

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
Re: Body mount replacement
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2014, 12:05:04 PM »
Look on summit racing for energy suspension mounts. I have them under the whole truck, they are very good. I also have their engine and trans mounts.

The install is not hard, I did it in an evening,  as long as you have a flat place to park the truck, a jack and some pieces of wood (2×4), and the appropriate sockets and wrenches,  impact works too.

Loosen all of the bolts so they are almost all the way unscrewed, about 1/2 inch still screwed in. There are 6 mounts. Then using your jack undo one bolt at a time, jack up that area just enough get the old mount out and the new one in, that's why all bolts are almost all out, it allows the cab to raise as needed so you have room to slip them out and in. Remember,  don't just go jack happy and lift the cab up alot, electrical, brake lines and such are all attached and if you move the cab, they move too.

Just be careful, and take your time, it's not hard at all. Also, the rear cab mounts have a steel sleeve that will have to be cut down, the kit directions give all that info, a cut off wheel or something will make quick work of those.

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/ens-3-4109r

http://m.summitracing.com/parts/ens-3-4109g

These are the same thing, just in different colors, I prefer black. Also, when I looked at those links I saw that the c10 set is a bit different than the C20 set which I used cuz mine is a C20. The c10 kit may have new sleeves you don't have to cut.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 12:09:24 PM by LTZ C20 »
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline KWKENUF

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2014, 01:59:59 PM »
How did the poly body bushings affect the NVH of your truck,  compared to the rubber?

Offline SkinnyG

• Registered Users
  • Reducing resale value since 8-track days
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2014, 03:38:16 PM »
I noticeably felt more drivetrain vibrations.  BUT, I also have poly motor and trans mounts. And a snotty cam to shake things more.

I have a friend who put them in his 4X4, and took them out a week later.  It all depends on what you can put up with.
The Crusty Chevy: 1977 Silverado, shortboxed & dropped, potato-potato.

Offline Ben_Greenberg

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2014, 05:54:13 PM »
Oh shoot... Then maybe I should go rubber.

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2014, 11:10:40 PM »
Mine is 2 wheel drive, all body mounts and engine and trans mounts are poly, truck rides smooth, bumps aren't bad, I have a little bit engine vibration but that's at idle and I have a decent cam too so that's mostly to blame there. But over all I like them alot. My buddy has them in his 4x4 k25, body, engine, trans and suspension,  I have heard no complaints from him and he said he was glad I got the poly ' s for mine. I have rode in his truck many times and pretty smooth over all. Good for an old 4x4 3/4 ton.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 07:12:50 PM »
I replace all the rubber ones in mine with aftermarket bushings from PST when they need it.  There shouldn't be a huge difference in the both initially, but eventually the rubber will deteriorate again.

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 07:29:52 PM »
where can I get the whole kit?

the link above and all the others Ive found only have 4 bushings

isnt there 2 more under the radiator support at the front?

and 4 more under the stepside bed?

and we;d like to go back with rubber to not make it any rougher or noisier

anyone still make rubber ones?

we have  a K-10 we think is a 77,  has a state issued VIN so we dont know for certain.

we also are considering adding a hockey puck  on top of the new mounts  for a cheap  1'' lift

« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:45:34 PM by roundhouse »

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 09:53:05 PM »
There are only 6 bushings 4 under the cab and 2 under the core support.  The bed sits on the frame.

I sell rubber here:  http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=7&Product_Code=0851-909&Category_Code=C1

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2014, 10:03:57 PM »
The links have all bushing required. As Capt said, 4 under the cab, 2 under radiator support,  bed sits bare on frame. The rough or noise you are concerned about may not exsist at all, you never know until you try. The hockey puck will work for lift but remember the mounts are a soft rubber and a hockey puck is dense rubber, poly mounts or not rubber but they are a happy medium density wise. Rubber will so degrade faster than poly.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline roundhouse

Body mount replacement
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 05:15:55 AM »
There are only 6 bushings 4 under the cab and 2 under the core support.  The bed sits on the frame.

I sell rubber here:  http://store.73-87chevytrucks.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=7&Product_Code=0851-909&Category_Code=C1

Is that $30 per each bushing??

And that is only half the bushing ?

There's and upper and lower for all 6 right?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 05:18:59 AM by roundhouse »

Offline roundhouse

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 05:18:19 AM »
The bed squawks and squeaks alot

I'm assuming it needs some thing between it and the frame to eliminate the noise

Offline LTZ C20

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2014, 08:54:57 AM »
Or the bed is loose. Mine doesn't make noise at all. My buddies is quiet but is tailgate rattles alot haha. Yes there is an upper and lower, the upper is between the body and body mount on frame, the lower is between the body mount on frame the head of the bolt that goes thru the mounting hole. In the link I provided,  the round cylinder shaped ones are the uppers and the smaller cone shaped ones are the lowers.
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline Captkaos

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2014, 08:47:22 PM »
Per bushing both pieces.

Offline usar17

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2014, 01:30:37 PM »
Now do the poly ones on summit come with new bolts? I just took my cab off for paint and I need to replace all the cab and radiator mounts. There's like a metal cap on top of the rub bushings and a cup style washer on the bottom bushings. My bolts are all pitted from rust. Where can I get everything I need?

I have a 85 k10
« Last Edit: December 13, 2014, 02:05:43 PM by usar17 »
Shawn
===='85 Chevy Cowboy Cadillac====

1985 Chevrolet K-20 Silverado Long Bed
-5.7L V8 350TBI w/TH700R4