Author Topic: Inner Fenders  (Read 4339 times)

mtw

Inner Fenders
« on: September 18, 2001, 04:40:00 PM »
There was a little rust inside the front fenders on my truck - so I bought new GM inner fenders.  How hard are these to install?  What is involved?

Offline captkaoscustoms

Re: Inner Fenders
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2001, 06:22:00 PM »
You have to remove the fenders in order to install them correclty.

Chris Lucas
www.captkaoscustoms.com

mtw

dang
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2001, 10:23:00 PM »
That Sucks!

Offline bigblock73

• Yeller
Re: Inner Fenders
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2001, 12:01:00 PM »
I don't know what year truck you have, but mine is a '73 and I did not have to remove the fenders.  If I remember right there are two bolts on the bottom front, two on the botton back (under the cab), and maybe eight or so around the wheel well.

Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Offline captkaoscustoms

Key word was correctly.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2001, 12:54:00 PM »
I didn't say it was impossible.  I said you had to remove the fenders to install them correctly.
I have installed them before without pulling the fender, but it is a pain in the butt.  You have to flex/bend it around to get it on/in.  I can take the fender off faster than it is to get one out and back in.  Plus it doesn't get warped/scratched.  There is 3 bolts across the core support, 2 at the cab and 9 on the inner fender lip.

Chris Lucas
www.captkaoscustoms.com

Offline bigblock73

• Yeller
Re: Key word was correctly.
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2001, 07:25:00 AM »
I guess it depends on how far you want to go.  If you want to install them "correctly" then you have to remove the hood (typically a 2 person job), remove your headlight bezel, turnsignal, removing underhood items that are attached to the fender, keeping track of shims for the fender, etc etc.  The possibility of getting scratches is far greater doing it this way in my opinion.  When I was replacing both of my inners (they were freshly painted too) I did it by myself without pulling the fenders and didn't get a single scratch on anything, the only thing I had to remove was the front wheel.  

When it comes to working on your truck, there is no rule book.  There are more ways than one for just about eveything.

Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

mtw

Fenders stay on!
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2001, 12:18:00 PM »
I think I want to try it without removing the fenders.  Sounds like less work to me.  Wish me luck.

Mike

Offline bigblock73

• Yeller
Re: Fenders stay on!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2001, 11:49:00 AM »
Take your time and you won't need luck.

Jeff

'73 swb 2wd

73-87.com

Offline ChevyGuy

• Frequent Member
My way
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2001, 12:31:00 PM »
You dont need to do anything. All you got to do it jack up the truck pull the wheel off. Have a roll of maskin tape. It took me 30 min for the right side. Left 15 min. My truck did look bad without inner fenders but they kinda support the battery box and the heavy hood.

Offline 1979blazer

ha ha ha
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2002, 07:47:00 PM »
ha ha ha thats funny

Edited by: 1979blazer at: 4/21/04 11:53 pm