Author Topic: Removing bodyside graphics  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Silverado350

Removing bodyside graphics
« on: April 29, 2004, 11:57:00 PM »
Hello everyone,

I've had my '84 C10 Silverado since March of '99 and recently found this forum, so this is my first post.

I bought a fairly clean driver's side door and front fender at a swap meet, and they have some kind of old dealer-installed sticker wide stripe graphics.  How do I remove these easily?  I don't care about damaging the paint since I'll be repainting the truck in a couple years.

Also while I'm on the subject of doors, does permatex's "extend" rust treatment work well on containing light door seam rust or should I invest in some POR-15, or its Eastwood competitor?

Chris Blomberg
1984 Chevrolet C10 Silverado
www.cardomain.com/id/chrismu (pics of my truck)

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Removing bodyside graphics
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2004, 10:43:00 AM »
Welcome to the site!  I am not sure what exactly you are describing on the fender, but if it is a sticker have you tried Go-Gone?   As for the Permatex stuff, I have no experience with it, so I cannot say.  If it has visibile rust I would say you need something that will neutralize it before you cover it up.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Silverado350

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 08:58:00 PM »
Thank you for the suggestions.  After a closer inspection, it looks as though the graphics are painted on, and then have a clearcoat over that.  The Extend rust treatment I'm considering claims to be a rust-converter, so perhaps I'll use that and then brush POR-15 over that before priming and painting.

Chris Blomberg
1984 Chevrolet C10 Silverado
My Truck's CarDomain Page

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 11:48:00 AM »
POR15 works best if applied to rusted metal.  If you are going to coat it with another rust inhibitor, I would skip the POR15, that is what it does also.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project