Author Topic: Steering Knuckle Studs  (Read 4733 times)

Offline donkason

Steering Knuckle Studs
« on: January 26, 2009, 02:17:56 PM »
I am in the middle of doing tie rod ends and ball joints on my 1980 K10.  It has a 4 inch Rough country suspension lift sitting on 33's.  When I removed the steering arm from the steering knuckle one of the three studs stripped out.  I am having a heck of a time finding replacement studs.  Is there a place I can find the studs and nuts for this application?  I will most likely replace all three while I am in there.  Thanks for the help.

Offline cracker0169

• Registered Users
    • Myspace
Re: Steering Knuckle Studs
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 02:41:15 PM »
You can check with places like Offroad Design (which have all sorts of stuff for our era trucks) and I also believe ARP has them as well so give Summit or Jegs a call. ARP would be probably the strongest/safest route. Keep us posted what you find out!
1981 K10, 350 - SM465 - NP205 sittin' on 37's
1983 C10, 305HO - TH400

Offline donkason

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 03:16:49 PM »
I called the local dealer and they had them for 11 bucks a pop :(  The cone inserts were 16 bucks a pop!!!!  I decided to replace all three while I am in there and reuse the cones.  Better safe than sorry considering the studs are almost 30 years old.

I have until Wednesday to get in fixed and on the road so I had to buy from the dealer because they will be here tomorrow.  The didn't have the nuts for them but that is a trip to the hardware store.  Thank you for your help and next time I need studs I will check out ARP.....maybe when I snag the engine out and stroke it ;) 

The GM part number for the studs was 3965137.   

Back to knuckle busting.

Offline Antti

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 01:31:57 AM »
Been there, done that... My steering arm removal was a really pain, when I was changing it for a raised one. I actually had to cut the arm deeply beside the studs to get the cones out. They were like welded together with the arm and with the studs.

Anyway, I got a new set of studs, cones and nuts from there by a reasonable price:
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/merchant/harshterrain_W0QQ_ipgZ25
You already got the studs, donkason, but just for info to anyone else who's doing the same thing...
« Last Edit: January 27, 2009, 01:40:27 AM by Antti »