Author Topic: Speedometer cable lubrication.  (Read 2056 times)

Offline fiddler

• Site Supporters
  • Registered Users
  • 74 Chevy C10 Stepside
Speedometer cable lubrication.
« on: July 22, 2020, 01:50:22 AM »
I have a 1974 chevy c10 stepside.  I am about to lube the speedometer cable.  Is it easier to remove the speedometer or work around it?  Any experiences out there??  Thanks..
Ricky

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: Speedometer cable lubrication.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 09:06:15 AM »
I got spray cable lube at auto parts store. Removed instrument bezel, gauge lens, speedometer. Sprayed lube into the cable housing. This was fairly easy for me.
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Speedometer cable lubrication.
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 09:28:52 AM »
Leave the instrument cluster and bezel intact.  Remove the driver side A/C duct from below the steering column if the truck has A/C.  Reach up behind the cluster and remove the cable from the speedometer by pushing the retaining tab toward the cluster with your left thumb while simultaneously pulling the cable away from the cluster with your left hand.  Maneuver the cable down below the dashboard.  Use needlenose pliers to grab the end of the cable and pull it out of its casing.  Wipe the cable clean with a disposable rag and inspect the cable for obvious wear, broken strands and kinks.  If the cable is obviously kinked or damaged in any way replace the entire assembly.  Liberally smear the cable with lightweight lithium grease as you slip it back into its casing making sure that the cable doesn't pick up any grit or debris off the cab floor in the process.  Then reattach the cable to the back of the speedometer in the reverse steps of removal.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)