Author Topic: The Wife's 88 CrewCab Makeover  (Read 52168 times)

Offline rhino

Re: The Wife's 88 CrewCab Makeover
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 07:53:25 AM »
At this point in the build me and the wife were debating back and forth weather or not to make the truck a shortbed. I always knew it would look cool, make the turning radius a little smaller And then it would then fit in the garage. but just barley. I wasn't sure I wanted to add on the extra work and I cant say for sure but I think the wife didnt want me to do it cause she probably would mess it up. So we or I agreed that if I could find a short bed before I started anybody work I would do it. A few weeks later I found one and The next day found a buyer for my rust free longbed.

Once the bed was removed I started measuring where and how much to cut. I knew that 14 inches needed to come out and the 6" need to be cut of the back. But I wanted the short bed to drop right on without drilling new holes. so it took a little planning to make that happen. I marked the frame and cut it with a cut off wheel.

Had my clean up the edges. I have a little 110 welder And I knew that was not going to get the job done so I rented this big pull behind welder and welded it back together. I took the 14" piece I removed and cut some of it in to a diamond and welded that to the inside of the frame.

I coated the frame & weld on both sides with KBS coatings. Then I took the remaining piece of removed scrap and used it as a reinforcing plate and drilled and bolted it to the side,top and bottom of the frame where it had been welded. so it is welded with a fish plate and bolted on all three sides.

I removed the 20 gallon tank and added the 16 gallon. I cleaned it up on the inside and put in a new pump and mounted it back in place.

Offline rhino

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2013, 09:27:33 AM »
After the frame was shortened. I needed to get the drive shaft shortened.

once the truck could move under its own power again, we took it outside and washed some of the grime and dirt off and then my wife and daughter started coating the rear half of the frame

Offline square81

• Registered Users
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2013, 02:06:15 PM »
Thats an awsome truck, nice progress so far. I bet its alot cheaper to do that then buy a new truck, these are much better built anyways. Like the the use of newer seats nice upgrade. Keep up the good work.

Offline gildardo01

• Frequent Member
« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2013, 05:19:35 PM »
Thats an awsome truck, nice progress so far. I bet its alot cheaper to do that then buy a new truck, these are much better built anyways. Like the the use of newer seats nice upgrade. Keep up the good work.
umm, i think comparing a used "home built" truck to a new truck is like comparing apples to oranges... there are a lot of benefits in buying a new truck... that include fuel efficiency, safety in brakes and air bags... and you are guaranteed not to be left on the side of the road... on the other hand new trucks are 40k+.. its nice to have an old truck or car and work on it and drive it, and be able to say i built it... 

Offline rhino

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2013, 08:39:59 PM »

It maybe cheaper, but it sure in the heck isn't  easier. Im doing wiring now. It is a nightmare under that dash. Iv tried to keep it organized the best I can, but it still looks like a cobbled up mess. there is just so many wires. its hard to keep it straight.  Iv been Putting in new interior lighting, power windows, power locks, keyless entry, alarm, remote start, auto-dimming mirror with compass and temp, Double din dvd/nav stereo, backup camera. powered subs, and probably a few more before im done.   

umm, i think comparing a used "home built" truck to a new truck is like comparing apples to oranges... there are a lot of benefits in buying a new truck... that include fuel efficiency, safety in brakes and air bags... and you are guaranteed not to be left on the side of the road... on the other hand new trucks are 40k+.. its nice to have an old truck or car and work on it and drive it, and be able to say i built it...
Nothing's guaranteed, but your right.   I love the old trucks, Anybody can go and sign there name for a new truck, and be like all the other newer trucks on the road. Just driving a old truck says something about you. I used to drive newer trucks about 8-10 years ago now, I just like the way I feel in a old truck. I dont know how to explain how i feel. I just feel better about myself knowing I dont need that big expensive truck. and thats when I drive my old 86 POS. When I would drive my 71 before i sold it. OMG there is almost no better feeling for me. I loved building that truck. Driving this one around will be just as satisfying, and see my wife drive it around. I probably wont be able to stop grinning.

Offline Colby

« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2013, 09:36:06 AM »
Did you use all three steps of the KBS coatings system?  If you had a media blasted frame, could you just get away with the topcoat?

It looks great!!

Offline rhino

« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2013, 09:41:28 AM »
Yea I just used the top coat. When I did the 71 I started with a blasted frame. here is the build thread. first page has the KBS coatings
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=427417
On the crew cab I just cleaned it with dish soap and brush knock of dirt. either way seamed to work fine for me.

Offline Colby

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2013, 10:36:42 AM »
Thanks for the info.

Man that 71' turned out great!

Offline rhino

« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2013, 02:52:25 PM »
At this point in the build, I brought the whole family out again and we started scuffing the inside for paint and sound deadener.
 I also Mocked up and drilled holes for the interior plastic, that we picked up from the junk yards. I wanted grab handles as well, so I marked where I wanted them and drilled holes and then welded in a locking nut.

Offline blazing816

• Frequent Member
  • A Truck Is Built, Not Bought
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2013, 03:29:13 PM »
I like the handle idea, I just bought a set of them and were going to weld in the nuts like you did after winter (too darn cold to work here when you do not have a garage to work in).
-----------------------------
1988 Chevy R20 Scottsdale Crew Cab (350/TH400/4.56)

Offline rhino

« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2013, 02:55:37 PM »
I took the old steering column out and replaced it with a newer with tilt, delayed wiper/ cruise control. plus it has the newer GMC wheel.  We picked it up from the junk yard, and when i got it in, I noticed the thing was all wobbly. So I took it apart and fixed it. Then I painted and cleared the  dash, back wall and inside the door and jambs. Then laid down some sound deadener (which I sell by the way.) Then I took the  A/C system from a donor truck. and installed that into the crew.  I didnt know this at the time but A/C cabs are different from non A/C cabs. I Had to cut in some new holes and patch up some old ones.  While I was doing that The wife got started Sanding on her truck with a DA, getting ready for paint.

Offline Damon23

« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2013, 03:10:35 PM »
Very nice. I like that you turned it into a shortbed. Are you keep the clearance lights? You and your family are going to love that thing.
1982 Chevy 305 700r4. Just a toy

Offline rhino

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2013, 05:28:57 PM »
Very nice. I like that you turned it into a shortbed. Are you keep the clearance lights? You and your family are going to love that thing.

thank you.  Yea were keeping the clearance lights. The wife really likes the looks of clearance lights and the truck didn't come with them so... like everything else on this truck I added them.   Yea we do love it.

Offline thirsty

• Suitor's Garage
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2013, 06:28:14 PM »
Glad to have you here rhino. I came across your Silver Dollar build thread while doing some searching for paint colors. I kept going back to check your progress. You did a great job on that one and I'm sure this one will be no different.

Best part is the involvement of the whole family.
Real trucks are built, not bought Build thread

Give me a long enough lever and a place to stand, and I shall move the earth or break this bolt...Whatever, just hold my beer!

Offline Engineer

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2013, 10:00:46 PM »
Well, you've done everything else to it, might as well throw a Dana60 front end under it.

Lets go, chop, chop, whatta ya waiting for?

;D
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout