Author Topic: Quadrajet leaking at accelerator pump. Pics.  (Read 13435 times)

Offline hondaman

Quadrajet leaking at accelerator pump. Pics.
« on: March 20, 2014, 06:59:23 PM »
I put a new GM goodwrench 350 crate motor in my 1981 C10 RWD.  It replaced a 305

New fuel pump too.

Old carb.

When I tried to start it, I was getting a fuel leak by the accelerator pump.  I rebuilt the carb, however I still have the fuel leak.

What is causing this?  I looked at the parts breakdown, and there seems to be an accelerator pump o-ring/seal but I don't know how that fits as the old seal is pressed into the air horn.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Quadrajet leaking at accelerator pump. Pics.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 08:27:36 PM »
Your complaint is related to high fuel level in the float bowl.  Recheck the float level - it's probably set too high or the needle valve is not sealing properly against its seat.  Make sure there's no debris lodged under the needle valve.  Make sure the needle valve "clip" is hooked over the metal "end" of the float and not through one of the "holes" in the hinge plate.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline hondaman

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 06:18:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply.

I took the air horn off again to look at the pump.  I'm a little confused on the float level adjustment.

Do I adjust the float height after I press down on the rear pivot point of the float and the needle stops moving down?

Or do I make the adjustment after I press down on the rear pivot point of the float and it actually comes in contact with the top of the needle?

Here it is adjusted to 3/8" with the float coming into contact with the top of the needle.  It's hard to see, but the needle is not moving at all.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 08:15:25 PM »
You've got the right idea.  Typically, you won't see the needle move much during this adjustment.  Firmly seat the float pivot pin into the bowl casting with your finger and hold it in place to anchor the float while checking and making adjustments.  Adjust a T-ruler to the correct float level setting.  With the float pivot seated in the bowl, use a ~6" screwdriver (it's about the right size and weight) to press down on the metal float plate directly above the needle valve to close the needle against its seat - DO NOT apply excessive pressure on the needle valve or you can damage the Viton tip.  Place the T-ruler across the top of the bowl and adjust the float by gently bending the float arms, so the T-ruler just touches the tip of the float.
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline hondaman

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 08:30:02 PM »
You've got the right idea.  Typically, you won't see the needle move much during this adjustment.  Firmly seat the float pivot pin into the bowl casting with your finger and hold it in place to anchor the float while checking and making adjustments.  Adjust a T-ruler to the correct float level setting.  With the float pivot seated in the bowl, use a ~6" screwdriver (it's about the right size and weight) to press down on the metal float plate directly above the needle valve to close the needle against its seat - DO NOT apply excessive pressure on the needle valve or you can damage the Viton tip.  Place the T-ruler across the top of the bowl and adjust the float by gently bending the float arms, so the T-ruler just touches the tip of the float.

I should see the needle move a little bit when making this adjustment, correct?  Reason I ask is because with the float adjusted as-is (in the video), the motor will not idle at all.  Dies right out unless I'm on the gas.  I'm wondering if I adjusted the float wrong.  If the needle is always seated, that might be my problem.

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:04:15 PM »
The needle will be lifted off the seat "slightly" by the clip that attaches it to the float.  If the float is adjusted correctly AND the float drops to the bottom of the float bowl when released (assuming there is no fuel in the bowl), then you should observe about 1/2" of vertical float travel at the tip of the float.  The float should rest on the floor of the bowl when the bowl is dry.  If you are seeing the described range of motion of the float, then the needle should work correctly.

Try this (but be very careful and have a fire extinguisher handy):  Unplug the distributor power lead to kill your ignition.  With the float bowl cover removed, while firmly holding the float hinge pivot in place with your finger to properly anchor the float, have an assistant crank the engine.  Does fuel enter the bowl and fill it?  Does the tip of the float rise to 3/8" and then shut the needle valve, so fuel entering the bowl shuts off?  If it does then the float level is properly adjusted and you have other issues causing it to die.
Rich