Author Topic: testing pwer windows & locks  (Read 2669 times)

Offline oldfrt84

testing pwer windows & locks
« on: September 13, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »
Got a set of nice '85 doors to go on my78 Silverado. They have power windows and door locks.Mine came with power windows but not locks.
I want to test the window motors and locks before mounting the doors. I found the schematic here but not too bright at electrical schematics. Also my eyes are kinda old and reading the schematic is tough. I was able to test the drivers side window motor by hooking wires from a battery to it. I put 12v on the pink wire and ground to the black & it worked! Passenger side doesn't appear to have a direct ground wire so it must get it somewhere else.
Anybody want to help an old guy out and tell me which wires on the harness going into the door at the hinge I need to hook power and ground to?  I'd like to test power door locks too so any help would be appreciated!

Offline rich weyand

Re: testing pwer windows & locks
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 04:04:37 PM »
Here's the wiring diagram for your power windows and locks.  Should give you everything you need.
http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com/techinfo/wiring_diagrams/powerwindows.gif
Rich

"Working Girl": 1978 K-10 RCSB 350/TH350/NP203 +2/+3 Tuff Country lift

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 11:43:29 PM »
the right side gets its power from the left side so i would assume its the same with the ground. i want to sayif you go drk blue and brown on the motor itself this will work your just bypassing the switch, but idk i cant read these diagrams either
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 11:46:25 PM by Irish_Alley »
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline oldfrt84

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »
Thanks guys! I thought about going straight inside the door to the wires as you mentioned but wasn't sure what it might do to the switch.
I know there are some really smart guys here that tell me which wires to hook the 12v and ground to. Not sure what the door locks need as I think they have relays too. I'm not real good with reading electrical schematics!

Offline bake74

• Build Thread
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 11:06:42 AM »
the right side gets its power from the left side so i would assume its the same with the ground. i want to sayif you go drk blue and brown on the motor itself this will work your just bypassing the switch, but idk i cant read these diagrams either

You need to connect the doors together and test, that way you should be able to operate everything at once.
#1: The easiest and most obvious solution to any problem is 99% of the time correct.
#2: There is no such thing as impossible, it just takes longer.
  74 k10, 77k10    Tom