Author Topic: Sea foam motor treatment  (Read 1943 times)

Offline Jerr-conn

• Registered Users
  • Retired tool maker
Sea foam motor treatment
« on: October 20, 2018, 07:54:18 AM »
Anyone have any experience with this stuff. I ' ve heard good things about this treatment.
Jerry

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: Sea foam motor treatment
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2018, 09:00:42 PM »
Yes, been using it for years, good stuff.

It has multiple use applications, think I have used them all.

Especially in fuel injected motors, cleans everything.
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2018, 12:09:59 PM »
Used it a few times on TBI's

Offline Ed4all10

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2018, 03:09:50 PM »
If You have a tired motor, this stuff is great to add to oil 100 or so miles before an oil change. Then dump the rest in the fuel tank, or through your carb/intake. I used some last year in my nephews gunked up 305, and when we pulled the heads off again, you could see where the sea foam had cleaned the pistons. I would say use it more than one time over a few tank fulls of fuel, or a couple oil changes to see the best result. I still think berryman’s B12 is the best carb/throttle body cleaner out there, but sea foam has more applications. Best of luck.

Offline DouglasBeale

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2018, 08:19:58 AM »
I used it a few weeks back. put it in oil, gas tank, and sprayed into carburetor. All the same day. it really felt much better until I changed the oil. When I put new oil in, I added a quart of that Lucas Oil Additive... I think the Lucas was a mistake, and I'm going to drain it out later today. I may even treat new oil again with seafoam, and pour the rest in the tank, then change the oil again in a few weeks.

I don't know what I was thinking with that Lucas- I saw a guy do the same exact treatment on Youtube. But I didn't realize how thick it was until I pulled the bottle off the  funnell, and now am thinking I defeated the purpose of getting all the gunk out of the engine.

Don't mean to hijack your post, but yes I would recommend the Seafoam.
1986 Chevy K30
4WD Dually
Four Speed 117mm Transmission
NP205 transfer case
Quadrajet

Offline 86chevytrk

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2018, 04:54:59 PM »
I’ve used it in on a few newer cars and enjoyed the smoke show. I’ve used it in the gas tanks a lot over the years and it does seem to clean gunk out. I’m a little hesitant about using it in the oil though. I’ve heard the horror stories about people flushing there trans fluid only for the trans to start slipping due to the absence of carbon in the fluid. Not sure if it’s relavent or remotely the same . Maybe I’m being a nervous nelly and should give it a shot. Just food for thought. I too would recommend it.

Offline Ed4all10

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2018, 07:03:40 PM »
Douglasbeale: there is a product called “engine restore” that is about the only additive I will use in my oil. On an older motor, it does a lot of good. A gentleman named “project farm” on YouTube did a review of it, and it actually raised the compression in his tractor for well over 100 hours until the oil needed to be changed again. Right before he changed the oil, the compression was still high. Wally world usually carries it.

Edit: it is also very much a liquid, unlike Lucas sludge.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2018, 07:05:44 PM by Ed4all10 »

Offline DouglasBeale

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2018, 07:39:29 AM »
Douglasbeale: there is a product called “engine restore” that is about the only additive I will use in my oil. On an older motor, it does a lot of good. A gentleman named “project farm” on YouTube did a review of it, and it actually raised the compression in his tractor for well over 100 hours until the oil needed to be changed again. Right before he changed the oil, the compression was still high. Wally world usually carries it.

Edit: it is also very much a liquid, unlike Lucas sludge.

Thanks Ed I'll check it out.
1986 Chevy K30
4WD Dually
Four Speed 117mm Transmission
NP205 transfer case
Quadrajet