Author Topic: New guy from PA  (Read 3120 times)

Offline KilgoreTrout

New guy from PA
« on: January 16, 2019, 03:54:16 PM »
Hey all, new guy here. Just bought an 87 half ton Silverado 4X4/350 for a decent price. It's in pretty bad shape, but it's got a running engine, shifting transmission, working 4WD, solid body, and nice frame.
I don't think anything else works, so I'm sure I'll have a few questions.  ;D
I'm not exactly a noob to the scene. I've never taken a vehicle to a mechanic, and I've owned a few cars, trucks, Jeeps, and bikes along my 22yr driving career. I've always liked Chevy trucks, but never actually owned one (I've had several Chevy work trucks issued over the years, but mostly Fords. I have an F-250 super quad cab at the moment).
Anyway, I hope to pick you guys and gals brains for a while, and maybe help out where I can. You seem like a good crew.
Now can someone tell me why so many parts are listed for 73-86 or 80-86 trucks, etc? A lot of times, it looks like the 87 is the odd truck out. Is that because Chevy switched to the V10 vs K10 designation and computers think they know better? Were there really a lot of changes from 86 to 87 (other than TBI?).

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: New guy from PA
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2019, 04:06:53 PM »
Welcome from the St. Louis, MO area.  TBI and associated emissions changed as well as baffled gas tanks and electric in tank fuel pumps.  Body and grill stayed the same but options available and what came on the Scottsdale and Custom Deluxe was anyone's guess, probably to get rid of whatever they had due to the model change over.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2019, 05:19:07 PM »
Welcome
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2019, 07:32:36 PM »
welcome from maryland
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline KilgoreTrout

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2019, 06:36:46 AM »
Welcome from the St. Louis, MO area.  TBI and associated emissions changed as well as baffled gas tanks and electric in tank fuel pumps.  Body and grill stayed the same but options available and what came on the Scottsdale and Custom Deluxe was anyone's guess, probably to get rid of whatever they had due to the model change over.
I see. So it sounds like most everything should work.
I had just noticed that a lot of parts stopped short of 1987. Body, interior, and mechanical parts. Thanks for the reply. 

Offline KilgoreTrout

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2019, 06:40:33 AM »
Welcome
I've been on a Jim Croce kick for several weeks now (I hadn't listened to him in a loong time). I saw your username and just about spit my coffee out. Great song (although my 7yo daughter disagrees....haha).
Thanks for the welcome.

Offline KilgoreTrout

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2019, 06:49:37 AM »
welcome from maryland
I might not be far from you. I'm in central PA about 5miles out of Maryland. What section are you in?
And thanks for the welcome.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2019, 04:56:59 PM »
i live midway down the eastern shore kind of close to the Delaware line

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline KilgoreTrout

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2019, 04:44:14 PM »
i live midway down the eastern shore kind of close to the Delaware line
Gotcha. Yeah, we're pretty far apart.
I'm always looking for some close-by truck guys. You never know.
I actually found out yesterday that a newer co-worker just moved 25mins from me and he's building a pretty heavy duty 1980 k10. That's cool.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2019, 07:49:42 PM »
yeah a few years ago on here i was talking to a guy who lives 20 minutes from me about his truck in delaware. but he wanted me to get his truck through inspection (emissions in delaware) told him he would have to go to a garage that has a sniffer. havnt heard nothing back

Offline KilgoreTrout

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2019, 11:06:07 AM »
I see. I used to admin a pretty big motorcycle forum and I'd run in to local riders pretty frequently. Or I'd go on benefit rides and some random person would ID me. Sort of cool, really.
We don't have emissions here, though. Thankfully.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2019, 01:53:38 PM »
im glad the county i live in CA. doesnt have emissions. and one inspections and youre done for the life of the vehicle as long as you keep tags on it and it stays in your name.

Offline KilgoreTrout

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2019, 09:46:41 AM »
As you probably know, we have an annual safety inspection up here in PA. I'm trying to figure out if a rusted out inner fender is a fail or not. I know my rusted battery holder is.
Not that I won't fix them both, but curious.
Otherwise, the frame and body are super solid. Someone just cracked a battery at some point and didn't clean it up, which took out the battery holder and inside fender.