Author Topic: kevin108 -gears  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Sierra4x4

• Registered Users
kevin108 -gears
« on: April 01, 2003, 02:30:00 PM »
kevin, i know you've been behind the differential cover a few times, i was wondering if you'd ever changed gears? if so how long/hard is it to install different gears. alot of my friends say 'easy as pie' but ive looked on the net and seen a different story. when i get 35's id like to go 4.56 but im not sure if i have the know-how and tools to install'em myself. if it was bolt in and go i could do it but ive got a feeling its more than that... what do you think?

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
Re: kevin108 -gears
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2003, 09:39:00 PM »
Yeah, I don't think my bolts stay tight on my rear diff cover anymore. :-) Gear changes are a reasonably difficult task.  There is a fair amount to do to them as far as setting all your clearances and backlash.  I've never done it myself.  You need marking compound and a dial indicator.  One of my friend's dad is gonna help me setup my front when I get 3.73s for it, so I'll know more then.  He's got the dial indicator and the know how, I've just gotta get the money to start the whole project.  So no, it's definitely not just a bolt-in thing.  But wouldn't that be nice!?  Also if you think you'll be adding a Detroit locker, it would be a good time to do it while you're setting everything else up.

35s and 4.56s are pretty overkill though, especially with your 5-speed...  Or am I thinking of the wrong truck?

www.coloradok5.com/gearinstall.shtml will kind of give you a visual and a little more info of that installing gears is like, even though it is a 14-bolt w/ 4 spider gears and doesn't look much like your diff on the inside...

87 Silverado ½-ton 4x4 Longbed Pickup
350 TBI, 700R4 w/ Corvette servo
4" Skyjacker, 33x12.50s
14-bolt rear & Detroit coming soon
My Mods | Truck Pics | Kevin108@PavementSucks.com

Offline Sierra4x4

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2003, 11:35:00 PM »
must be the wrong truck ive got the 4 spd manual w/granny gear. dang i wish you could just bolt'em in! like i said i dont have the knowledge or tools. I bet itll cost me $$$
lockers where my next q. im really thinking of a detroit in the back and a selectable in the front. Im likeing the OX locker the newer version looks sweet, very easy to use!. So far they havent broke it in the 4x4 mags. im trying to stay away from air lockers, id rather have cables. My years of ATV experience tells me LOCKERS RULE, mine came stock with'em and i walk all over open front diffs. With lock out hubs i dont think it will effect my pavement manners. I want my truck to perform well off the road. most of my buddies have lockers or low gears. I figure with the front/rear locked with 4lo and granny i should  be able to crawl about anywhere.
when you getting your detroit in? did your truck have any limited slip? how did you like the performance of a locked diff? later!

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2003, 06:28:00 AM »
Nah, it was the right truck.  I knew it was a manual tranny so that was where the 5-speed idea came from.  I honestly don't know how much it costs to get gears setup.  Dad's a mechanic so when I asked him about gears, he just gave me the first name of a guy he knows.  Heh.  The selectable lockers are expensive as heck!  I'd just go for a rear locker for starters.  It makes the BIGGEST difference offroad!  I had a LockRight for 3 months until I stripped it but the day after I installed it I took off for the nearest trail system, about 4 hours away, and my truck just walked right over every obstacle there.  I was with a group of S-10s so I didn't get to do anything too extreme but man...a locker is one of the best mods you can make.  My truck did not have a limited slip to begin with.  If you're talking about the G80 optioned Gov-Loks...those things stink!!!  If you have a stock traction unit, you may have to source yourself an open carrier to put a locker in.  The locker was fine on the street.  It was kinda like driving with a clutch - there were a few quirks to driving with a locker that you had to get used to at first but after a couple weeks you didn't even think about it anymore, it was just second nature.  Not sure when the Detroit will happen.  I've gotta get the spring perches on the 14-bolt cut off, moved out, and welded back on.  For some reason the placement of the springs on the half-ton is different than on the 3/4 and 1-tons.  Once I get that part done, new bearings and seals get stuffed in the axle.  When I bolt it on, I won't be able to use 4WD until I put those 3.73s up front so that the ratios both match...  So it's kinda like setting up dominoes.  Everything needs to be done and in order and to have a fully-functional 4x4 there's a lot to do!  Probably sometime this summer I'll have it all done.

4" Skyjacker, 33x12.50s

Offline Sierra4x4

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2003, 01:21:00 PM »
Tell me about it!! Tires are gonna run me about 750$ not installed, 4.56 gears around 500, then later in the year the 6 in skyjacker with some cool stuff, around 1000$ It adds up quick! plus to get the stuff installed. Good thing i have the wife working two jobs!! (it was her choice i swear!)
Ive guess it is the gov-lock. I really havent had any problems. I actually like it alot. It takes very little wheel spin to get it going. Once i was in wet grass and I was using granny just to creep out so i wouldnt tear up their yard, instead both tires just sat and spun with out giving it any gas.
Ill probably do one axle at a time. Rear 4.56 with a detroit or true trac. Cant imagine spending another 400+ just for the locker!
I may just get a small bank loan for the gears/locker, install, id still like to get ahold of that OX locker. Its too sweet.

Offline Kevin108

• Frequent Member
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2003, 10:53:00 PM »
I called today to the welding shop.  It's gonna run me about $100 to get them to move my spring perches and shock mounts on the 14-bolt.  I'll probably do that in a couple weeks.  What I'm going to try to do is throw the axle in the back of the truck and just leave them the whole truck so they can pull their measurements off the stock rear axle and then get everything positioned the same on the 14-bolt.  The people that own the house I was renting come back to live in it this month so I was outta there the end of March.  Back in the parents' house right now.  Yeah, I'm a winner.  Right.  But I'm gonna take a few months and stay here and finish building my truck.  I'm about $300 away from a new engine and everything else I can kinda do in $100 increments.  The axle was $100, the welding's gonna be $100, the gears are $100, the install kit's $100...  Rims will be about $250 after getting the tires moved over.  So good to hear your truck's coming together too.

4" Skyjacker, 33x12.50s

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
spring perches
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2003, 05:57:00 AM »
Kevin, you mention that the perches were not in the right place? I have done some 10 / 12 bolt to 14 bolt swaps and have never encountered this prob. I do know that the cab and chasis rears are narower than 3/4 or dually rears. What did you get your rear from?

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Sierra4x4

• Registered Users
cool
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2003, 12:14:00 PM »
I just got off the phone from a guy who said he would do the gears in my axles, he said 25$ an hour probably around 3-4 hours. Im thinking of asking if i can help him out because id like to learn. So if i can buy my gears an axle at a time and install them an axle at a time i should get it done within the next 4 months after i buy the tires, which im gonna buy 1 hopefully tomorrow, just to sit it next to the truck and see if its gonna fit, if not ill hold off, if so ill buy 3 more. I like at least having a plan for my truck, and not jumping into it blind. a small bank loan may be in order if i get too impatient, id like to wheel a little this summer even if i hate my current suspension. :)  One thing that has thorwn a wrench in my plans is my water pump is  failing and i got a steal on a perf. intake for 40$. Later!