Author Topic: Where do I fill my 350 with oil? And power steering question  (Read 14096 times)

Offline Welshboy

Where do I fill my 350 with oil? And power steering question
« on: September 25, 2006, 01:16:00 PM »
Hi there,

just moved from the UK and bought a beat-up '78 chevy c/k1500 scottsdale with a newish 350 in it.

Excuse my ignorance, but I only have experience with turbo'd Nissans and this is my first venture into US machines.

I have checked the oil and it is empty but I have no idea where to fill it up.  I can't even find a likely filling spot!

Also, my powersteering does not work - there is plenty of fluid but no power.  The belt does not seem slack and the pulley turns, but one of the metal pipes seems slightly flattened at the bend where it comes out of the pump.  Could this be the problem or should I look for something else?  I did find a powersteering pump in the bed when it was delivered so I assume it was changed recently.

Thanks
Gawain

Spec: '78 Scottsdale 4x4 pickup, newish 350 engine, Edelbrock intake and 600cfm carb with electric choke (does not seem to be connected?), RV cam, 6"lift.  No idea what most of that means :\  

Edited by: Welshboy at: 9/25/06 12:17 pm

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: Where do I fill my 350 with oil? And power steering ques
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2006, 05:12:00 PM »

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2006, 07:38:00 PM »
Gawain,

You should, as Chris stated, have a cap on one of your valve covers.  Or, you can lift up your pcv valve on your valve cover and pour oil in that way with a funnel.

That crimp in your metal line just may be the culprit of why your power steering isn't working.  Loosen up the high pressure line slightly and have someone turn your steering while engine is running...fluid should gush out.  If it does, your pump is good.  If it doesn't either your pump is bad or it  is crimped in the line.  You can get another metal line....go to someplace like auto zone.

<p>SgtDel
aka "Andy"

www.delbridge.net

1979 Big 10 383 stroker
1991 Blu 'Burb 3/4 ton 4x4</p><i></i>

Offline RSBAD454

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2006, 08:04:00 AM »
Spec: '78 Scottsdale 4x4 pickup, newish 350 engine, Edelbrock intake and 600cfm carb with electric choke (does not seem to be connected?), RV cam, 6"lift. No idea what most of that means

350 engine = 5.7Liters, Recreational Vehicle camshaft, Your trucks height has been raised about 6 inches(0.152 4 meter)
Carburetor is rated at 600 Cubic Feet a Minute of air flow. Of course your intake manifold.....

Toys are my game

“If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.”
http://prosites-prs.homestead.com/
http://

Offline Welshboy

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2006, 10:06:00 AM »
Thanks guys.  I have no caps in my valve covers - they are chrome and look fancy, but I managed to get some oil in via the crankcase breather hole - making a tremendous mess in the process!

Straightened out the power steering pipes and toppped it up - actually worked, but the supply pipe seems to be leaking so I will replace them all.

Thanks for the other info too - I have just had a load of books from Amazon delivered this morning so I'll go read up on all that stuff too.

'78 Scottsdale 4x4 pickup, newish 350 engine, Edelbrock intake and 600cfm carb with electric choke (does not seem to be connected?), RV cam, 6"lift.