Author Topic: Got her running  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Manswame

• '82 k10 with 305 stock
Got her running
« on: April 27, 2019, 12:50:10 AM »
So I finally got her running...and stay running. No stalling on idle, or black smoke. She starts, she idles, shes makes it to the dump and back. Her/she being an '82 k10 with a 305.

Now, she has some performance issues...mainly, she seems like shes struggling for air. She sounds like a fat kid crying over the last piece of cake. Mostly after accelerating. She accelerates like a champ...some hesitation...and cruises with no issue...but after when I try to get back on the gas lightly...she sounds almost like she wants to stall. Almost like I have to give gas in bursts instead of steadily.

Any suggestions? Also, the gas gauge bounces between a quarter tank.

Some things to note: I filled the gas tank last fall before she wouldnt start back up. It was a starter issue but I got that fixed when it was 30 below and that's when the idle issue happened (I think ultimately that was a bad connection on the electric choke). Moral to the story is, the gas in their now is the same gas from 8 months ago.

Also, my neighbor came over and said my truck had some sort of exhaust flap. Anyone have any idea what this is? I'm gunna google it now but figured I'd throw it in there.

Disregard picture...I need to have it in order to post.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

1982 K10 with 305 STOCK

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
Re: Got her running
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 01:40:17 AM »
shouldnt need a pic to post, must be a taptalk issue. but anyway whats your timing set at?
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Manswame

• '82 k10 with 305 stock
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 04:56:04 PM »
Yeah I know. Apparently it happens with newcomers. Least that's what someone said when I said something about it. Doesnt really make sense to me.

Anyways, my timing light is MIA. I will see if I can borrow my neighbors and get that info for you. Any chance it can be bad gas?

Also, I picked up this gem today. Holley 80451 replacement carb.

1982 K10 with 305 STOCK

Offline Stinky

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2019, 09:03:09 PM »
Bad gas and slight water condensation in the tank maybe after sitting ?
88.5 Chevy Suburban Silverado V20 350 5.7tbi 400th 208 4.10 4" lift on 33's w Front & Rear LSD

78 GMC Sierra Grande K1500 350 5.7 205 3.42 4" lift on 33's w Rear LSD. I don't recommend that gear and tire combo unless you like burning up clutches...A lot

Offline Manswame

• '82 k10 with 305 stock
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 01:59:45 AM »
Bad gas and slight water condensation in the tank maybe after sitting ?
It could be. I had only driven her in short runs to the transfer station and back before. After I tied up the obvious vacuum leaks I ran her into town to get some stuff at home depot and the more she ran the better she sounded. She definitely does not like to run when shes cold. She almost bucks when in 3rd gear.

I think next plan of action is getting the Holley carb I just got rebuilt and installed along with a new intake and headers and see how she breathes then.

Other miscellaneous jobs are front brake job with new lines and new universal joints.

1982 K10 with 305 STOCK

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2019, 04:27:39 PM »
The exhaust flap, as your neighbor called it may be located on the passenger side exhaust manifold.

It consists of a cast iron block with a movable flap/valve inside, controlled by a rod and vacuum cylinder motor.

It pulls the valve (flap) closed when the engine is cold.

The idea is/was to force more exhaust though your intake manifold to heat it up quicker.

Then it opens up when it vacuum is cut by a port on your emissions system.

The default position should be OPEN.

If it closes during regular operation you could hear some screaming...

Test it by taking a look at the position of the control rod right after you start her up COLD, and then again after she is at OT.

That's assuming you have one at all! 
1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction

Offline Manswame

• '82 k10 with 305 stock
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2019, 11:40:51 PM »
The exhaust flap, as your neighbor called it may be located on the passenger side exhaust manifold.

It consists of a cast iron block with a movable flap/valve inside, controlled by a rod and vacuum cylinder motor.

It pulls the valve (flap) closed when the engine is cold.

The idea is/was to force more exhaust though your intake manifold to heat it up quicker.

Then it opens up when it vacuum is cut by a port on your emissions system.

The default position should be OPEN.

If it closes during regular operation you could hear some screaming...

Test it by taking a look at the position of the control rod right after you start her up COLD, and then again after she is at OT.

That's assuming you have one at all!
Is this something that can be removed? I guess in the grand scheme of things it wont matter because I'm about to do the intake, rebuilt holley carb and some headers in a month or so after the rest of the parts come in.

1982 K10 with 305 STOCK

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 12:10:00 PM »
Not with stock exhaust, but if headers are in your future, this part will go away!

Offline Ed4all10

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2019, 05:43:39 AM »
Johnny hit the nail right on the head. I will add that if you are getting to 30 below zero, you may want to keep the heat riser and “exhaust flap.” Growing up in The mountains of North Carolina, we never got to quite  30 below but the winters were well below freezing. On my first square in high school,  of course I removed all the emissions stuff, heat riser, etc and put long tubes on it. Well, come winter when it was 18 degrees and windy, I had trouble starting my truck, and keeping it running while it warmed up. When she had that factory emissions equip and heat riser, I never had that problem. I now live in South Carolina, and have no problem starting my square with headers, because it isn’t getting crazy cold down here. Just something to consider if you want to daily it. Good luck.

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2019, 03:13:12 PM »
You could MacGyver the 'flap' in line with the output of your passenger side header.

Or something equivalent.