Author Topic: Need opinion on rust cowl  (Read 1695 times)

Offline parzan

Need opinion on rust cowl
« on: October 12, 2018, 06:54:58 PM »
Need opinions on what to do to repair the cowl.  I was able to get all of the old seam sealer out.  I took pictures of the worst areas which have some holes.  I know the best way is to cut out the rust and replace, I'm just not sure how since it's a tight fit in there.  I've heard of some folks using fiberglass after using por15 or similar product.

This won't be a daily driver, it's to work on with the kids and take them out for rides etc. So it won't see much if any rain.  But, I also don't want to do a sketchy/iffy repair that some poor guy or gal will have to deal with in the future while cursing my name.

Other than the floors which I'll be replacing, this is the only rust.

Offline AZ4X4SQBDY

• Registered Users
Re: Need opinion on rust cowl
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2018, 08:19:11 AM »
Having grown up in the rust belt and moving to Texas and now Arizona, I can not stress how much easier the hobby got dealing with rust free vehicles.

With that said, a repair like that is just not cost effective or practical to do "right" with new metal. If it was mine, I would either sand blast or use rust converter on the area, paint it, use several coats of seam sealer or urathane to make sure it was water tight, paint it again and go forward. I don't like fiberglass or tiger hair because those products tend to corrode the metal worse over time if not properly treated first.

I understand wanting to do the best repair possible, I'm like that also. Sometimes it's just not practical and stalls the project over something that nobody is going to see and it just has to be water tight.

Just my .02
1987 GMC Sierra Classic 4x4 short, fleet, 1985 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 short, step side, '87 Chevy Silverado short fleet, '91 Dodge Ramcharger LE 4x4,
2005 Porsche Boxster S,1982 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce

Offline parzan

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2018, 05:28:49 PM »
Thanks for the response.  Since I really don't see how I can get in there to weld, I think that may be the route I take.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2018, 08:05:26 AM »
My suggestions is to brush on rust converter, generously. Do it a few times and then thoroughly clean the area. Identify the spots that have through holes and repair them. There are a few easy ways to repair the holes:

Lead is an old school way to fix it but you want to avoid breathing it in and use PPE. If you chose to go that route, do your homework.

Brazing is another option but you will need to be very careful and use a low temp brazing rod. Once it's all patched up, coat it with your choice of rust protection, seam seal and then paint.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10