Author Topic: Swapping power window to manual questions  (Read 2297 times)

Offline jricharc

Swapping power window to manual questions
« on: October 04, 2018, 12:29:56 PM »
So I have manual windows in my '86 and my passenger door was beat up so I found a nice OEM door locally.  Problem is its power windows, how can I get the window out to swap the tracks and crank without being able to roll the window down?  All the wires were cut so I cannot try and supply any power to the motor if it even works.

Offline Rapid Roy

• Euless, Texas
Re: Swapping power window to manual questions
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 01:33:42 PM »
Welcome
1974 Cheyenne 10 LWB STOCK 350 W HEI /TH350/AC/4 BBL Quadrajet
Mopar by Birth
Chevy by Choice

Offline jricharc

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 02:18:58 PM »
Thank you!

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 12:07:01 AM »
Is the current window all the way up?  This is going to be a trial of patience, a lot of it.  Is the one you want to get it out of power or manual.  Just want to get clarification.
You are basically going to have to remove the vent window, window motor and the glass front the door in about that order.  Somewhere along the lines you will have to secure the window lift.

IF you can get an alligator clip on some wires if it is the power setup that is stuck, it will be very helpful in getting it removed.

Offline jricharc

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 12:54:36 PM »
Is the current window all the way up?  This is going to be a trial of patience, a lot of it.  Is the one you want to get it out of power or manual.  Just want to get clarification.
You are basically going to have to remove the vent window, window motor and the glass front the door in about that order.  Somewhere along the lines you will have to secure the window lift.

IF you can get an alligator clip on some wires if it is the power setup that is stuck, it will be very helpful in getting it removed.

Yes the window is all the way up in the donor door that is power.  I want to keep the glass thats in it I just need to swap out the tracks for the manual version I assume. Do you know of any walk-trough of the vent window removal?  I have new seals for those but have never removed vent windows before.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2018, 10:42:13 PM »
To remove the vent, remove the door panel, remove the bolts to the rear window guide, remove the bolts in the top outside of the door for the vent, and the bolt on the inner door face.
From there with the window up, you will have to figure out how to manipulate the vent window out hence it best if you get it down.  It can be done, but you have to be VERY patient.

Offline haroldwca

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2018, 09:36:24 PM »
Remove the bolts that hold the regulator to the door frame and let the window, track, regulator, and motor slide down as far as it can.  This will give you more room to remove the vent window.  There are screws in the top of the door frame that screw into the diagonal side of the vent window frame.  Also there are a couple of bolts on the inside of the door frame that secure the vent window mast. Once the window is down and the vent window is out of the way, you will have more room to separate the window from the regulator.