Author Topic: TBI issues  (Read 13527 times)

Offline team39763

Re: TBI issues
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 10:54:33 PM »
I tried that, but I must have done something wrong there too.  We never could get 12v to show up on the other side of the wire.  I put 12v to the connector - nothing, I put 12v to the ECM connector - nothing.  Something was wrong somewhere and the truck was going to need to be completely dismantled just to trace the wire.  I figure I may aswell just make it super simple and throw a carb on it.
  Yeah, I know I give up too easily.  This problem has been kicking my butt for a while now and I've thrown a few parts and some money at it and I'm nowhere near getting it running.  Atleast with a carb it should be as simple as drop the distributor in, check the fuel pressure and go.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2010, 07:34:07 AM »
you aren't supposed to put 12v to it. you were supposed to take a test light connected to B+ and momentarily touch and release this terminal. When you do this it will energize the injector for a split second.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline team39763

« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2010, 08:10:03 PM »
Well I've already screwed myself at this point.  After pulling the truck apart, we found a few burnt wires and noticed a few bent connectors.  After realizing that I could trace the wires without removing the engine and other stuff, I decided to put it back together and concetrate on my own project.  My wife is gonna just buy a newer vehicle to drive to work.  I'll get another shot at a TBI system soon...my dually is gonna need some attention next. 
   A neighbor of mine is pulling a carbureted 4.3L out of his truck and he told me I could have it if I help him remove it.  I'm just gonna throw that carbed motor in the bed of the S10 and see if I can trade the whole project for whatever.

Offline team39763

« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2010, 01:09:37 AM »
you aren't supposed to put 12v to it. you were supposed to take a test light connected to B+ and momentarily touch and release this terminal. When you do this it will energize the injector for a split second.
I thought B+ was a term for battery voltage and I could get it by connecting directly to the battery.  Could you tell me the difference please?  That way I'll know next time.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34 on: January 19, 2010, 04:46:53 AM »
B+ is battery positive. B- is Battery Negative. Your test light should be connected to the B+ terminal during the last step I asked you to do. Connect the alligator to B+ and touch ground to verify the light comes on. Then perform the steps as described. If you just took B+ to the terminal which is what you said you did, you missed the part where I said to use a test light. In other words you said you put 12v to the terminal. This would indicate to me you took a jumper wire and put 12v to the terminal. The test light bulb will act as a resistor and will excite the circuit during the test.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline team39763

« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2010, 09:26:48 AM »
Ok I understand now.  I only had one test light and I honestly thought that a piece of wire connected to the battery was all the same. Next time I'll just ask if I'm not 100% sure.