Author Topic: headers and true duals?  (Read 20707 times)

Offline Thermal Izod

Re: headers and true duals?
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2008, 04:25:42 PM »
i'll look into that.....last time i was at a local shop here i wanted a 3" turn down tip bent and cut from straight pipe, and they wanted $30 each....its a $4 part at auyozone, lol...
1982 Shortbed K10 Silverado.  305 ci with a mild cam, full true dual exhaust (Long tube headers, "H" pipe, and Thrush Turbo mufflers.  4x4, and otherwise completely stock.  about 153,000 miles.

Offline bigblue09

• Registered Users
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2008, 08:04:38 PM »
who makes the ones we have on here?
'87 Silverado EFI 305

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 09:15:04 PM »
Pypes Exhaust.

Offline Thermal Izod

« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 03:08:29 AM »
I'm thinking that sometime in the near future I'll do full length headers, a custom 2/5" X-pipe kit, and turn it out the sides befor ethe rear wheels....Question now is, what kind of mufflers do I need to tone down that kind of aggressive exhaust?  I don't mind some growl, esp when you get into the throttle, but I def DO NOT want another vehicle that wakes up my kids, and neighborhood, when I leave in the morning.  So I'd need a pair of cost effective, quiet mufflers to bring headers, no cats, and an x-pipe into more of a "catback" kinda range...Any suggestions?  I'm not really a muffler guy, and my f-body has a NASCAR style header-xpipe-out the sides 3" setup that rocks the whole county when I start it up...
1982 Shortbed K10 Silverado.  305 ci with a mild cam, full true dual exhaust (Long tube headers, "H" pipe, and Thrush Turbo mufflers.  4x4, and otherwise completely stock.  about 153,000 miles.

Offline bigblue09

• Registered Users
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 02:30:41 PM »
haha i want everyone to know when im leaving my neighborhood  ;D
'87 Silverado EFI 305

Offline Thermal Izod

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 03:03:09 PM »
I hear ya, I thought it was funny too...I never have a problem w/ a "noise competition" with neighbor's music or atv's or anything (they know they will lose), but it does wake my son up at 5am from time to time, and I hate that...  I'm trying to aviod that level of obnoxiousness this time around...No need for it to sound like bill elliot leaving for work that early anymore...It was fun for a time though ;-)  That said, Dynomax Super Turbo's?  are they one of the more quiet ones out that?  I've used Flowmaster deltaflow 50 series on a v6, and it was barely louder than stock, but I'm a little tired of the generic flowmaster sound...

Offline bigblue09

• Registered Users
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 09:31:13 PM »
haha. srew my neighbors, none of them like me anyways.  ;D lol. but i have read about the dynomax turbos. they are supposed to be high performance quiet mufflers from what i have read.
'87 Silverado EFI 305

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2008, 08:14:50 AM »
Your best bet is to go to an exhaust shop and do a cash deal.

I second this opinion...this is what I did.  Long tube headers that I reused (3" collectors) into 3 inch high flow cats (I bought off of ebay) into flowmasters super 40's 3inch intake and outlet to 3 inch tail pipes.  True dual 3 inch all the way and this thing is LOUD.  All for around 300 dollars. :D
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline Dragon

« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2008, 01:47:10 PM »
haha i want everyone to know when im leaving my neighborhood  ;D
Well if that's the case ;D
http://www.spintechmufflers.com/spintech/spintechindex.asp
Them some SeriouslyEVIL sounding muffs(Check out their Video Sound Clip section) ;)  Some buddies of mine absolutely Love them, and usually go for their Pro-Streets/Sportsmans....  Trust me when I say that I wouldn't run them without good Weatherstriping, and Plenty of Dyno-Mat Style Sound Deadener :o :o :o  After while the Drown can get ridiculous on long trips :-X  NASCUR(<Not wanting to pay any Royalties ;D) ain't got nothing on SpinTechs
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten

Offline Thermal Izod

« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2008, 02:31:52 PM »
i was actually looking for a QUIETER muffler for a true dual....

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2008, 11:25:48 PM »
Dynomax are quiet at idle.

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2008, 02:52:01 AM »
Do you have emissions? The cheapest kit would be the one sold on here which is the x pipe, and mufflers, and then to buy long tube headers from a place like summit.

I have emissions, but i would consider doing it all myself so i could ditch the cats anyway if i knew how hard it was. Anyone know how hard it is to install a set of long tubes, and install the x pipe in a home garage?

Offline JJSZABO

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2008, 07:25:40 AM »
Why ditch the Cats?  You can get some decent flowing Cats and hold polution to a minimum.  I can understand if this is for the strip or track - but for a daily driver I would still use cats...
Jeff

86 Chevy C-10
350, TH400
Ex father and son project (son lost interest)

Son regained interest when truck was almost completed

Offline Skunksmash

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2008, 03:04:38 AM »
Well i assume that cats restrict exhaust flow, at least a little bit.

Offline Dragon

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2008, 02:10:11 PM »
Well i assume that cats restrict exhaust flow, at least a little bit.

Pre-'94 factory cats were restrictive, but '94 and later really weren't  all that bad, unless they were starting to or were clog(60-100,000 miles)... 

With that said, you can get High-Flow aftermarkets that offer little to no restrictions, even at an affordable cost when you go with a Universal(most of which you can get for $50-100 each, if you shop around)...
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten