Author Topic: 700r4 leak!  (Read 4323 times)

Offline 86square

700r4 leak!
« on: March 07, 2017, 11:36:11 AM »
I have been fighting a leak from the shift selector shaft for a while
I finally baught a special tool to remove the seal process went smooth but my leak is still there any suggestion out there?
Maybe a different seal?
Is it possible to have internal damage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: 700r4 leak!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 12:31:02 PM »
Check the shaft.  A groove maybe worn too deeply for the seal to be totally effective.  Make sure the vent hose on top of the transmission case isn't obstructed.
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline 86square

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 01:35:36 PM »
Ok will check it out after work
Thanks for the fast reply

Offline 86square

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 03:23:18 PM »
So I checked the vent hose on the transmission the shaft looks fine to me still notice the leak I'm stuck lol

I read a post that said mounting a second seal might work since there's enough room for two is that a good idea??

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2017, 03:46:26 PM »
How did you check the manual shaft for wear?  If the shaft is grooved, it won't be evident without taking it out for inspection or, at the very least, removing the seal again.  The seal lip installs toward the inside of the transmission (images) - any chance it is backwards?  Did you lube the seal lip before installing it?  Is there any radial (side-to-side) play in the shaft?

Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

Offline 86square

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 09:21:55 PM »
First of all I apologize for not updating but I'm still fighting this leak I checked the shaft for wear no play
I decided to replace the seal for a second time without installing the pins and shifter lever I let it sit for a day notice the leak was still there coming from the bottom of the New seal I really dnt think I'm doin anything wrong replacing the seal is it possible to have a crack on the housing where the shaft is at right below the seal?
Any other suggestions?
Should I try jb weld as suggested from a co worker?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 09:54:34 PM »
Use some aerosol brake cleaner or carb spray or starting fluid and thoroughly clean the area around the seal so there is no trace of ATF.  Then, patiently watch and monitor the seal area until ATF reappears.  Is the fluid leaking past the rubber lip of the seal around the shaft or is it seeping from between the outside diameter of the seal frame and the case?  Try to determine the actual source and path of the fluid leak before replacing any more parts.  Is there any possibility it is coming from the oil pan or leaking down from above?  Post a few pics of the problem area.
Rich

Offline 86square

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2017, 08:25:26 AM »
I can post pics later today but I can clearly see it comin from the outside seal and case

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2017, 08:56:49 AM »
Remove the seal and thoroughly wash the seal bore in the case and the seal with starting fluid.  Dry it with a clean rag.  Assemble with blue Loctite between the case bore and the circumference of the seal shell.  Do not use red or green Loctite, JB Weld or other epoxy.
Rich

Offline 86square

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 11:11:35 AM »
Ok thanks I will try that

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 11:27:35 AM »
You can use Permatex #2, as well.  In either case, be very attentive to remove all traces of ATF beforehand.
Rich

Offline 86square

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 03:03:09 PM »
I got some loctite 242 is that the right one? also removing the seal again I would need a new one right?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 03:55:08 PM »
"242" is fine.  If you're very careful and don't damage the seal lip or distort the shell during removal, you should be able to reuse it.  The Loctite should compensate for any normal crush of the shell incurred during the initial installation and help retain the seal in the case.  If you're hesitant or don't feel confident in reusing the seal, install a new one.  Shake the tube of Loctite to ensure a thorough mixing of its contents before use.  Washing the seal bore and shell with starting fluid will have the effect of a gentle catalyst and quicken the set time of the resin, so once the resin is applied install the seal without undue delay.  No need to panic... just remain focused and deliberate.
Rich

Offline 86square

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 04:12:23 PM »
Ok thanks a lot will do it today might just get a new seal anyways

Offline 86square

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 06:06:18 PM »
Just updating
 my leak finally stoped
Loctite worked no more leak for almost a week now would of had leaked the next day
Thanks again bd!!!