Author Topic: Can't find the leak  (Read 8483 times)

Offline roundhouse

Re: Can't find the leak
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2017, 01:45:44 PM »
My point was the test is invalid. You need to get some serial data at this point. Sounds like you're barking up the wrong tree on this.
How can I have data when there have not been codes show up?....Yes the check engine light is on when starting the truck.
There's a way to plug a laptop or smartphone into the port and record what's happening

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2017, 03:11:11 PM »
you cant really trust the OBD1 system and tell you the truth you cant really call that an OBD at all. its  ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link). it can tell you where to start but even then sensors need to be tested. generally speaking i may be distracting you from your real issue. but like one of the quotes in my sig say "When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth" ~Sherlock Holmes
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2017, 08:17:11 AM »
My point was the test is invalid. You need to get some serial data at this point. Sounds like you're barking up the wrong tree on this.
How can I have data when there have not been codes show up?....Yes the check engine light is on when starting the truck.

A fault code is not data stream. Anyone who has an OBDI setup should have a method of access to view data if they are trying to fix/maintain their truck themselves otherwise you will spend more money throwing parts at it over time. Why keep guessing? No it won't tell you what's wrong but it will give you the ability to drill down and find the problem without firing the parts cannon. There are several methods you can use to gain access, a scan tool, you can find used OBD1 scan tools cheap, winaldl with a laptop, bluetooth adapters and smartphone apps albeit Droid or Apple.

you cant really trust the OBD1 system and tell you the truth you cant really call that an OBD at all. its  ALDL (Assembly Line Diagnostic Link). 
I am not sure what you are saying? Didn't you know part of the programming logic is the Maury Povich lie detector test?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠¯¯¯¯¯'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #33 on: May 30, 2017, 08:14:52 PM »
I used WinALDL on all my TBI trucks.  Still have the laptop and connector here somewhere...  You need an older XP Operating system.

http://winaldl.joby.se/ is where to get setup instructions and the software. 

Offline Tazman

« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2017, 10:14:30 PM »
I have yet to get what is needed to get the data stream but I continue to try things. Once again I checked the timing and reset it. In doing so I unplugged the (I forget)tan wire with the black stripe.When done the ECM searched and found the idle again and off I went. After driving a distance yesterday and taking it to work today I noticed the idle was low again. So I adjusted it to where it should be. Tell me if this happens is my ECM on its way out?

Thanks,
Proud of and proud to be a veteran of our military.
God BLESS AMERICA