Author Topic: 350 rebuild  (Read 6555 times)

Offline vjfelix55

Re: 350 rebuild
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2017, 07:31:09 PM »
So its done! The engine is completely disassembled. Heres what pictures I got so far:

I discovered 1 collapsed lifter

Here's all the top end parts of the engine + oil pan and misc items

Here's all the valve train and rotating assembly pieces

I also noticed one lobe on the cam was completely shot

And last but not least I noticed unusual wear on the last piston or piston 8, what could've caused this?

But ya its finally done, now I build some more money up get the heads rebuilt block re honed and when its all clean and bada** I put it back together 😁
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 07:39:45 PM by vjfelix55 »

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2017, 07:41:14 PM »
Not trying to hy-jack your thread vjfelix55 but I'm in the same boat and want to ask a question while we're on the topic.

On a mild/stock rebuild does the rotating assembly need to be balanced?  Seems like all the hot rod guys say yes but I suspect it's not the case on engines that are not being reved all that much.

K
No problem bro, since I'm going with a stock rebuild I was told I dont need to get it balanced but I'm not 100% sure if its true.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2017, 08:19:30 AM »
That's not a collapsed lifter. A collapsed lifter is a lifter that has hydraulic internal failure. The foot of the lifter and lobe are wiped out. Common problem with modern oils. Judging by the wear on those pistons I would suggest having the machine shop bore the cylinders and match with appropriate oversized pistons.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2017, 05:02:26 PM »
That's not a collapsed lifter. A collapsed lifter is a lifter that has hydraulic internal failure. The foot of the lifter and lobe are wiped out. Common problem with modern oils. Judging by the wear on those pistons I would suggest having the machine shop bore the cylinders and match with appropriate oversized pistons.

Could this be also due to the engine having a lot of miles on it, rather than because of the oil?

Offline vjfelix55

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2017, 05:04:42 PM »

Could this be also due to the engine having a lot of miles on it, rather than because of the oil?
According to my odometer I had about 110k but when I got the truck there was no speed cable so idk how true or accurate that is

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2017, 03:36:41 PM »
If these are stock heads, then i'm willing to bet any wear is more due to miles than oil.

Offline thefarmboy21

• Registered Users
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2017, 08:09:30 AM »
Yep, just a high mileage small block....looks like every stock one I've ever torn apart. If the cylinders aren't scratched I'd just hone them. The engin my truck was absent work out. The cylinders were all outside the limits of what most people would leave. BUT when I built it, it was for a derby car....I wanted it built "loose" so that it wouldn't seize from overheating. It's got pistons from 2-3 engines because so many were worn. And two pistons are technically in the wrong side. Lasted a long time. I swapped the heads and now it's in my 86 K20, but it needs rebuilding.

Wipe the cylinders down and take some pics. If they're within spec and aren't scratched I'd hone them and either buy a rebuild kit with new pistons or replace the one that's worn.
AMSOIL DEALER # 5583011
86 Chevy K20 Custom Deluxe-Grandpa bought it new 11/20/85
77 Chevy K10 Custom Deluxe-Dad's first truck
69 Chevy C30 flatbed-Grandpa's farm truck
1950 International L-112-Grandpa bought it new, parked in 1963