Author Topic: My 78 k10 4x4 build thread -454 install / build -1 ton axles- frame restoration  (Read 334949 times)

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
Sweet....I'll have mine ready for ya! LOL

I don't think I can do mine until next spring. I'll prob just do the same color.

Offline FearNoMan78k10

• A project turned into a complete rebuild
Lool and some Benjamin's while your at it loool. Hey that's not that far off man. Yeah you should do that, same color sometimes turns out the way you were hoping it would as opposed to another color
78 k10 4x4

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
yep....just have to be patient. Was hoping to paint it now but I haven't be able to sale my 4runner.

Offline Engineer

You can take the truck to almost any auto parts store that mixes paint and they will have a gadget that will color match the paint. It has a photo eye in it that will tell the computer how to mix the paint...... An excellent tool because it takes into account sun fade. Using the factory paint code will still give you a two tone truck.....unless you plan on painting the whole truck.

And this is just my opinion, but I would opt for a factory full float 14-bolt out of a 3/4-ton truck over your Dana70. The 14-bolts are better, way plentiful, and usually cheap and ready to bolt right in. Since your Dana70 is out of a 1-ton you will have to move the spring perches to make them mate to the 1/2-ton springs. Find a 3/4-ton 14-bolt and you won't have to move the perches.
2002 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 8.1/ZF6sp RC/LB
2001 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 6.0/4L85E EC/SB
1997 Chevy Blazer 4x4
1994 Chevy K-2500 4x4 C6P 5.7/4L80E
1979 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10
1977 Chevy K-30 4x4 4sp 4.10 454

Dad of an Eagle Scout, and a Life Scout

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Well hopefully you can sell your 4runner soon . then just keep it on craigslist and update it and see if you can paint your truck this summer
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Hey engineer thanks so much for that info that's flat out awesome. I will seriously be doing that then this summer... Awesome tip man I never knew that.
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

My Dana 70 is a full floating and is very strong, you might have to do some serious convincing to change my mind to sell it and pick up a 14 bolt, tell me all the pros and cons on both axles. Dana 70 is capable of handling quite a bit of torque and power. Why would I want a 14 bolt over the Dana 70 engineer ?
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

OKAY SO HUGE PROBLEM , ENGINE NIGHTMARE,,,,,,,,, guys the engine I have is bored .030 over and people can read the specs of what we were doing to it. Well the engine had the bottom assembly removed in its entirety because the cylinder wall are scored big time , gouges , grass seed in the water passages and coolant jackets, trans fluid in engine, nasty black crud in areas of the engine, spray paint on valves and springs, block was never decked,  the list goes on, we got the heads off , immediately knew we had a serious problem, after pulling intake manifold and already seeing major signs of a complete bomb of a original engine that was so hyped up by my dad's best friend , so I added my own parts list to it, once we dove into the motor we have run into messed up this scored bearings THROUGHOUT, rust spots INSIDE the main journal underneath the bearing. Scored and gouged crankshaft, I mean to tell you guys it's a nightmare for me. UNBELIEVABLE how much it's going to cost to fix this not to mention having to bore and stroke it to a 496 because of the damage. I don't know what to do. The magnaflux is being done today. Hot tanked yesterday . Guys is it worth it to keep going or should I spend the non existing 2200 on a 502 block and build forged internals from the ground up? This will take longer and about the same amount of money I would be spending boring and stroking it. Guys I have ROYALLY gotten taken to the preverberal cleaners on this engine by my dad's good long time friend,,,  4700 I paid him for the engine and roller cam, push rods, lifters and carb that I don't want. No intake. Manifold was horrible that came with so scrapping that, oil pickup pump shot, all bearings shot, scored this and gouged that, it's repairable but for a lot of dough, should I just start over with a 502 big block or bore and sleeve the 454 ?
78 k10 4x4

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Engineer the truck will be getting new leaf springs and shocks..... 1-ton,,,,, I know it will be a little issue doing that but if I can mount the Dana 70 axle and get it working right it ought to be a trip with a big block, I would want the Dana 70 over the 14 bolt but that is just my preference for right now.
78 k10 4x4

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
I hope this guy didn't knowingly do this to you?

Offline FearNoMan78k10

Honestly minus I think he truly did. He starts cussing me out before I even get the motor paid for in 2 weeks by the way he had 4700 in his hands. And he just started treating me really bad after I bought the roller cam. Knowing the engine would be taken part for that I think he started cussing and treated me like a dog because he has so much fear inside of him on what he knew and knows about what the inside was like and I didn't and he knew I was going to find out and want money back, so I think he treated me like that because he wanted to scare me off and keep me away. But my dad at the same time isn't going anything about it, so basically flushed 5 grand down the toilet for nothing but a bunch of jacked up internals and engine. Lots of thoughts are crossing my mind about him and the whole situation. I'm frustrated , upset, hurt that my money was wasted,,, all of the above. I think it's only right his lies and bologna made right, pay for a new block or fix what I have entirely! But he won't do it I'm sure. He has a real big chip on his shoulder.... I'm stuck up a creek without a paddle in the meanwhile
78 k10 4x4

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
If he did....little miss Karma will pay him a visit someday.

Offline FearNoMan78k10

I don't believe in karma really I believe in Jesus Christ and he holds people accountable for their actions but he also loves us so much
78 k10 4x4

Offline minus1

• Registered Users
well said

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
i would at least talk to him about it. the worst that could happen is him start cursing at you agian
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes