Author Topic: 1984 250 Fuel Issues  (Read 1116 times)

Offline jbsealy

• C10 84
1984 250 Fuel Issues
« on: July 08, 2020, 09:31:15 AM »
I have been working to get my 1984 250 cu. in. 3 on the tree, completely stock short bed custom deluxe to provide reliable around town transportation.

To make a long story short. This truck has more than 200K miles without a whiff of smoke so far, but has spent much of the last 25 years idle without treating the fuel. I have switched to full synthetic oil (doesn't leak a drop) and have replaced the vacuum lines. Has been starting and running OK. At one point I was having issues with the engine stumble and thought it may be water in tank, but now don't think so. Several months ago I checked the filter and it appeared ok.  It ran very good recently and I parked it in the garage. It will no longer start. Have not started looking into things but note that with lots of attempts to start and pumping the pedal there is no small of gasoline and no fuel in the carb. I am assuming a bad pump or my acetone water treatment broke enough tank junk loose to fully clog the filter. Regardless I am pretty sure if this is the case it will happen again and again and I grow weary. I want to drive it with confidence. My plans are to buy a reman carb, replace the pump, replace the tank, replace the sending unit and fuel lines.  Any thoughts and advice would be very appreciated. jbsealy

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 1984 250 Fuel Issues
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2020, 12:21:28 PM »
Sounds like you haven't even checked the fuel level yet. Start with the basics. Fuel? Spark?
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline JohnnyPopper

• Old Goof
Re: 1984 250 Fuel Issues
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2020, 02:54:29 PM »
Some of those targeted replacement parts may not be connected with your problem.

The less variables you add the better at this point.

VZ is steering you right; basics then progressive upgrades.

Fully charged battery.

Fuel supply, and delivery to carb, get visual confirmation of accelerator pump doing the squirty squirt. 

Verify spark with a spare plug that you hold against a ground while your friend turns the engine over.

Check for a loose distributor.

If all those systems are a go, try tuning the Distributor, slowly while turning the motor over. As you advance it, you should see some reaction.

Check timing, Button down.

If she idles but will not run on road, look for clogged fuel filters.

1957 Apache 3100 235 Inline 6, 3 on the tree
1973 C-20, 3+3 454 4BBL TH400  Water Injection
1978 K-10, 350 4BBL TH350 NP203 M.M. Part time Kit/Hubs
1980 C-10 under construction