Author Topic: Fuel selector valve  (Read 1556 times)

Offline wd45

Fuel selector valve
« on: September 22, 2020, 12:15:16 PM »
Hi everybody, I've got a '83 1/2 ton Silverado,Been runnin on pass. side tank for quite a while,trying to figure out how to fix the problem of it not switching to driver side. After reading all the responses on here, was wondering first how the heck to get the switch out of the dash to check it out. The valve does make a "noise" when I go to switch to driver side. What I'd really like to do is bypass the valve by unplugging all hoses at valve and reconnecting with short lengths of hose. Anybody ever do that? Thanks

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Re: Fuel selector valve
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 01:12:14 PM »
If you hear the valve switching over, there may be nothing wrong with it.  Here is a picture of a new switch should you need to remove it.  Looks to me it is easier to depress the tab on the bottom from the back side and push the switch at the bottom out.  I broke mine getting it out when I replaced it but the new one snapped right in.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 06:34:01 PM »
You should have the depress fully switch on yours. What you are saying is you are trying to fix it but you want to bypass it ? So what exactly do you want to do?

As far as popping the switch out, reach up and depress the tab on the top and press towards you.

We have posted several articles on these units which will guide you to fixing the issue so if you want to fix it correctly, I'm sure one us can help you figure it out. If you want to bypass the valve then simply go directly from the tank and abandon ship on the rest.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline wd45

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2020, 09:14:44 AM »
Thanks for replying, If I can fix it by replacing the switch then, good! As far as hearing it make a noise when I hit the switch I don't know if that means it's working. Vile, When you say go directly from the tank do you mean,like what I read on other posts someone brazed a pipe from one tank to the otherI'm not gonna do that.Too much trouble. I'm talking about bypassing the valve by ,I think, pulling hose or fuel line off right side of valve and connecting it to the one on the other side for all the lines. There's 3 on each side  I think. Why wouldn't that work? And where can I get a new switch?

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2020, 02:07:47 PM »
The fuel selector valve switch can be found all over the internet from almost every parts supplier and even local parts stores such as Auto Zone, Advance Auto Parts, O'Reillys, and NAPA. The switch cost is about $12.00 to $15.00. As VZ has said, very easy to press the plastic molded clip on back side and push out the front of the dash. The switch has a tendency to fall apart easy when removing.

When you depress the switch you press it for a second then release. There will normally be a noise when the selector valve switches tanks and of couse that indicates the switch is working. However, it does not mean the selector valve is good. Even if it makes noise, it could still be bad. You can pull all the hoses and blow air in the left and right tank supply side and see if the air blows out the appropriate side. The valve could be stopped up as well as as parts of your fuel system from rust. My system was clogged up with rust and I have replaced all lines, hoses, tanks, and the other components.

Best to repair if you want to use both tanks. However, as VZ said, if you want to go to one tank, run fuel lines directly from that tank you want to use. As VZ also said, there is a great deal of information you can look at from previous discussions and the are diagrams for the fuel system on this forum.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 02:16:22 PM by Mike81K10 »
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline wd45

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2020, 08:13:08 AM »
Thanks Mike81, I guess from what you said my switch is working. Did you blow air thru your valve to see if it was plugged or did you replace it? I still don't see why by passing the valve by pulling the lines off of it and reconnecting them won't work. And then be able to draw out of both tanks. I did not see anything about that on this site.

Offline Mike81K10

• Site Supporters
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2020, 10:30:12 AM »
I found obstruction (rust and gummed up) in my valve and when I switched it from tank to tank the supply side where the fuel comes in from the tanks (two inflows) to the Outflow side had very little flow and in fact one of mine was almost (drivers side) 100% blocked. I cleaned it out and got it working like it should, my valve had been removed for restoration, so it was off the truck and easier to deal with. Just good to check the function and fuel flow of the selector valve. The trucks were not made with a filter prior to the selector valve and they probably should have one from each tank before the valve.

Still if your fuel only feeds from one side even when you switch tanks, you have a problem between your selector switch and selector valve and that narrows down your problem. Your wires run down the drivers side frame crossover with your fuel lines to the passenger side to your valve. You could have someone press the switch while you check power to your valve to eliminate problems to your valve. If you don't have someone to help, ohm out the wires from your switch to valve for continuity. Your valve can make noise as if it is working and when it's not.

VZ is really good and gave great advice and I was just trying to give my 2 cents of worth.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2020, 01:15:27 PM by Mike81K10 »
"Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn." -Benjamin Franklin

Offline wd45

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2020, 09:27:34 AM »
I really like these forums for whatever a guy is working on,but it's also sometimes hard to get your point across when texting instead of talking directly to someone.