Author Topic: Fuses keep blowing  (Read 2482 times)

Offline 87 ScottsDale

• New Users
Fuses keep blowing
« on: August 02, 2012, 06:28:20 PM »
Hey guys so I'm having some trouble with me truck and can't really figure it out. It's an 87 Scottsdale with a 350 swap in it. The previous owner got a 71 350 (I had to look that up) so it's carbureted and 87 they started using fuel injection, Stock 87 engine harness. Ok so when I first got the truck the domelight worked fine for about three months and then it went out. And everytime I replace the fuse it just pops or it will work till I hit a bump then pop.

I been under the dash so many time and everything look good no broken wires.. Any ideas?

Also my ECM1 fuse keep blowing! Any idea why this would be?

Offline Fairlane514

• Frequent Member
Re: Fuses keep blowing
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 08:29:34 PM »
On the dome light,make sure its a single contact on the bulb base and not a double.

Sorry, I didn't pay attention to your year model, mine is an 84 with the single socket style dome light, yours probably has the filament style with connections on each end.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 09:57:45 AM by Fairlane514 »

Offline markus

• 1991 C20 (mex), 1996 Cadillac ElDo
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 12:41:29 PM »
sounds like a hot to ground failure to me... there is some stuff running on that dome lamp fuse, orange wire, hot all times. unbolt the fuse panel and have a look at the backside, there you see where current comes from and where it goes, as far as i remember red comes from battery, goes through panel to fuse (20 amp) and leaves as orange, going to dome light, cigar lighter, cargo lamp, etc. one of those orange wires touches ground i'd say. had the same thing with the backup lamps, just that the fuse didn't pop, it just melted, so did the cable and part of the fuse panel... so stop throwing fuses in there until you find the failure, at some point you may melt something, or even burn your truck, be careful.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 09:33:55 PM »
Check the rear lighting for grounds.  I had one that was popping the dome light and someone messed up the rear grounds.   You don't have trailer wiring added do you?