Author Topic: carb to EFI and trannt conversion Q's  (Read 8792 times)

Offline moelll

• New Users
carb to EFI and trannt conversion Q's
« on: July 27, 2005, 09:32:00 PM »
okay, i am completely new to the Chevy truck arena because one, i never owned a 4x4 before and two, I am a Ford mustang enthusiast. anyway. i have a 1978 Chevy CK-10 4x4 with a two inch lift, 33 inch BFG A/Ts, 350 4bbl mated to a Th400 auto. since this will most likely be my daily driver, it has to be someone economical (i'll be happy if i can get 14mpg avg). so i was thinking to myself, why wouldnt i do a Tranny swap and convert the Engine to EFI. so this is where the question arises. can i use TPI (not the TBI), computer and harness from camaros and firebirds and fit it onto my 4x4? is there any other 4-speed autos other than 700R4 that i can use? i wouldn't care if i have to though, just need to make sure that it can meet up with the strains of of a 4x4.

if you can get past the fact that i am a Ford guy and try to answer that will be much appreciated. thanks

-rob

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: carb to EFI and trannt conversion Q's
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2005, 10:54:00 AM »
The TPI can be swapped with no problem.  I am gathering the pieces/parts for this right now for my 78 Jimmy.  As for the overdrive tranny, 700R4 is the best bet unless you want to go with the expensive 4l80E.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline jo3y1nf4nt3

• '86 swb....since high school 1996, '66 nova SS HT
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2005, 02:51:00 PM »
what /where can i go to find how-to's and benefits of converting over to tbi (or tpi)??  i did this read on some guy praising tbi over anyother.  he has info on making a 305 push 340HP and i believe with jsut a few parts interchange.  i'll look it up if anyone is interested.  (maybe i found that link on this site...not too sure. :lol )

jo3y in baytizzle (baytown y'all!)
"if only i could soothe my hunger by rubbing my belly" - diogenes

Offline moelll

• New Users
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »
okay, i'm now sold on the EFI/700R4 idea, i know i will need two low pressure pumps (i'm gonna run dual tanks), one large high pressure pump, the upper/lower intakes, engine computer/hardware and all the tranny components, but will i have to switch out the entire harness or can i keep it and run two seperate electrical systems for the truck by using its own fuse pannel from a camaro/firebird?

Offline TRUCK6DRIVER

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2005, 01:36:00 PM »
Painless wiring has a stand alone system for the TPI and LT1 systems that will make the conversion easy and trouble free. They have a system with a new computer system and a harness without one that you use the factory ECM to run the system. Both are great units and work well. The harness only unit will cost around $300. and the new system w/computer is about $800. These systems will allow you to keep the chassis wiring harness untouched and just add the engine system.

RH

Offline cooltoolguy

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2005, 08:57:00 PM »
just a note, you might need to switc to the serpentine camaro setup to clear your fan from the throttle body..
go to www.hotrodlane.cc  the did this swap dont reinvent the wheel :-)  they are very helpful as is everyone here

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2005, 03:19:00 PM »
Quote:
okay, i'm now sold on the EFI/700R4 idea, i know i will need two low pressure pumps (i'm gonna run dual tanks), one large high pressure pump, the upper/lower intakes, engine computer/hardware and all the tranny components, but will i have to switch out the entire harness or can i keep it and run two seperate electrical systems for the truck by using its own fuse pannel from a camaro/firebird?

You ONLY need the fuel sending units out of OR for an '87 pickup.  The driver side tank uses GM 25090846 sending unit and the passenger side uses a GM 25090837.  You will then need to REPLACE the intank pumps for one out of a corvette/Z28 that has is 45lbs (AC Delco EP 241).  You DON'T need any other pumps other than those.

For the wiring harness, pull the one in the donor out along with the computer.  The engine portion can be integrated with the existing harness.  You will also need to make sure you have the later cruise control style speedo with VSS.  It will possibly need a converter unless its output matches what ever donor you are using.

For more infor on TPI look here: chevythunder.com/

Here is Street and Performances installation on a '71 pickup.
www.hotrodlane.cc/PROJECT...pickup.htm

This is a LS1 install in a '77 pickup with dual tanks:
www.hotrodlane.cc/77chevy...7chevy.htm

BTW, you don't need the accessory setup.  

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline cooltoolguy

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2005, 08:39:00 PM »
my bad, roundline, your right only need to change the brackets on 1988 and newer.:o   (opens mouth and inserts foot) yummy

Offline boll213

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 02:13:00 PM »
Will the transfer case work with this swap or will that need to be harvested from the trans donor vehicle as well?  I didn't think the output shaft on a TH400 and 700R4 were the same.  Cross member too, right?  I ask because I also have a 79 that I've thought of changing to a 700R4.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2005, 02:46:00 PM »
TH400 and 700R4 are not the same.  The transfercase input is specific to transmission it is connected to.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project