Author Topic: The old man wins out  (Read 5139 times)

Offline bobcooter

• 1979 Scottsdale C-20
The old man wins out
« on: July 26, 2010, 03:51:33 PM »
The kid in me and the old man in me have been at odds ever since I bought my truck last year. The kid wanted a hot rod, the old man wanted dependable and reliable. Well the kid got his way and I had a set of flat top pistons, 882 heads, a Summit Stage one intake, headers and some noisy glass packs. I had posted on here a while back that my truck ran hot and was having some problems afterward. Well, I tore it all down and sure enough, one one my 882 heads was cracked right in the #4 exhaust valve seat. The old man in me came to life and  reinstalled my factory heads after having them gone through at the machine shop, my cast iron 200+ pound intake manifold and my cast iron exhaust manifolds. I used a set of 2" dual exhausts with some old glasspacks that I had on one of my parts trucks for now. Now, the real beauty of the story... The old C-20 rides like a tank again which I kind of like. But on my first tank of gas my mileage dropped from 12 MPG to 10.7 MPG. I think I'll try a 2 1/4 inch dual exhaust setup with some free flowing mufflers. The old man doesn't want anything too loud though. ::)
'79 C-20, 350/400, 3:73 gears, 9 leafs and a headache rack
Favorite Quote, "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
Re: The old man wins out
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 06:28:08 PM »
Wider exhaust pipes translates to quite a bit louder noise. be careful.
Also, the 882's were smog heads and a light weight casting.  They, as you have found out, are prone to crack.  
That sounds like a nice project for the kid in you.

Offline werewolfx13

• Site Supporters
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 11:21:03 PM »
Smaller pipes CAN be louder, just with a different tone. Dual 2 1/4 pipes with long glasspacks (28" or longer), is a real mellow tone. Cats also make a world of difference in volume.
Chris
'83 Chevy c10 Silverado SWB
'76 Chevy k20 LWB 6.5'x8' Flatbed
“I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.”

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 04:02:51 AM »
what I would run would be 2.5 with a x or h pipe if you need cats just run them and no muffler if you don’t well just have something to help out with the noise bigger pipes give a mellow tone while smaller pipes give a more of a pop either one will be loud if you done have a muffler or cat
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 11:32:26 AM »
I run duals on my 79 with cats, no muffler.  I love the sound.  I thought I'd do the same on my 91 sub, but it has larger diameter pipes, i removed the muffler, and ran w/ cat only....oh my, that puppy was so loud.    But the sub was so much louder w/ fatter pipes.  I had to go back and put a muffler on it.  I still run my 79 383 without a muffler, just cats-sounds awesome.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 05:37:34 PM »
I run duals on my 79 with cats, no muffler.  I love the sound.  I thought I'd do the same on my 91 sub, but it has larger diameter pipes, i removed the muffler, and ran w/ cat only....oh my, that puppy was so loud.    But the sub was so much louder w/ fatter pipes.  I had to go back and put a muffler on it.  I still run my 79 383 without a muffler, just cats-sounds awesome.

Isnt that illegal, officer??

Offline Lt.Del

• www.delbridge.net
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 09:44:28 PM »
not illegal, passes inspection every year.

In Va, if it has a cat, it doesn't need a muffler.

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 10:05:33 PM »
(sulking) Stupid CA...

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 03:26:48 AM »
one good thing about historic tags in Maryland no inspections ;D
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Josh454

• Registered Users
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 05:44:15 PM »
2.25 w/ Dynomax mufflers.  Quiet and free flowing.   :)

Offline bobcooter

• 1979 Scottsdale C-20
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2010, 09:11:31 PM »
Down here in La. we have vehicle inspections annually but they don't check exhaust or emissions. Still trying to decide what the answer is. If it's a little loud taking off and then they quieten down while cruising that would be fine. Neither the kid nor the old man want to sound too whimpy. Know what I mean?
'79 C-20, 350/400, 3:73 gears, 9 leafs and a headache rack
Favorite Quote, "Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from poor judgement."