Author Topic: Electric Fuel Pump Install  (Read 6917 times)

Offline TexasRed

Electric Fuel Pump Install
« on: July 31, 2010, 05:29:36 PM »
I bought an electric fuel pump for my pickup as the 383 I'm building is a vortec block and this won't be a dd so I'd like some fuel in the carb when I'm ready to drive. I got a regulator with it but I think it's a standard style regulator. I've got 2 output ports but is there a way to get one as a return? Like restrict that fuel line size a little bit, say down to 1/4 or 3/16 or should I spring for a new one that's a bypass?

Also, my truck is an '84 C10. Is it a pain to put an electric fuel pump into it? Where would I mount the regulator?

Offline HAULIN IT

Re: Electric Fuel Pump Install
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 09:18:30 PM »
Since no one else replied yet, I'll give you my thoughts. Installing the pump is straight forward. I would suggest using a relay & the requested wire size. Depending on what your using this truck for will dictate if you need to make any other mods to the tank, hoses, ect. If your making a nice driver (not a race vehicle) & are really doing the electric pump due to not having a mechanical option on the block...then just put it between the sending unit & the metal tube going up the frame. If your going to do some racing, other mods should be made.
 As for the regulator, It should be mounted up front somewhat near the carb. Your idea about the "by-pass" on the extra port can work, however a small hole (nitrous jet, carb jet or something similar) is what you'll want to use. The size of the hole really depends on how much "extra" fuel pressure the pump makes...if the hole is too big for the engine's requirements at WOT, you will have a bog/lose fuel pressure. If the pump only makes 7-8 psi, I don't think it will work very well for you.
  I made a unit similar to what your describing many years ago, but no regulator was used, just a "T" fitting...I put the inner "jet" of a sandblaster inside the hose on the bottom port of the fitting going back to the tank (in the original feed line) this cut the 15lb. pump down to about 7 1/2 & worked great for several years. Hope this Helps, Lorne

Offline TexasRed

Re: Electric Fuel Pump Install
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2010, 11:35:17 PM »
It does help.

There's an option on the block. It's early vortec. It's just not a daily driver. I hate having to turn the motor over quite a few times to get fuel in the bowl. I actually dropped the truck off at a mechanic shop. I was having trouble getting everything done and it looks like I have work now.

The pump is rated to I think 14psi. I have the summit fuel pump wiring kit.

Thanks! I may try it!