Author Topic: SPARK PLUG BROKEN OFF IN # 4 HOLE  (Read 5775 times)

Offline PURESTREET5006

SPARK PLUG BROKEN OFF IN # 4 HOLE
« on: July 12, 2005, 09:16:00 PM »
I was helping my buddy change is spark plugs on his 87 350 suburban when we thought we were removing the plug when i broke( threads still in the head) and just the porcelin part came out....Would an easy out work? And how hard is it to perform.

Offline TRUCK6DRIVER

Re: SPARK PLUG BROKEN OFF IN # 4 HOLE
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2005, 09:00:00 PM »
did just the porcelin break or did the 5/8" hex break off too?

RH

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Re: SPARK PLUG BROKEN OFF IN # 4 HOLE
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2005, 10:52:00 PM »
A really good easy out ought to work.  I would soak the plug for a while first.  PB Blaster works best.  When you put in the new plugs, make sure to put on some anti sieze.

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
spark plug
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 08:01:00 AM »
Sorry, you have to take the head off and replace it...it is no good now.   Naw, just joking!   If the porcelin part came off, you should still be able to take it off w/ a socket.  The metal base should still have the part that the socket fits on.  It shouldn't be a problem.  Next time, use the socket straight on. When you turn the socket from an angle, CRACK.  

Offline 1976Scottsdale

Re: spark plug
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2005, 09:45:00 AM »
That was cold Sgtdel.  Good though.  Anyway, inspect your new plugs and make sure they are straight and not deformed before you put them in.  I tried to install one that was just a tiny bit off and snap.  It was fun, 30 minutes back to the part store only to have some, large, grumpy manager tell me that since they were installed, the warranty was void... seriously.  He changed his opinion when I made my way around behind the counter and was then right next to him.  I was bigger than he was too, he tried again with a fuel pump.  He was fired after that.

Offline PURESTREET5006

PLUG'S
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2005, 07:02:00 PM »
No..Just picture a diesel plug for a VW....I have no threads and the hex part broke off leaving the threads and the spark plug tip in the hole...

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: PLUG'S
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2005, 09:53:00 PM »
I would soke it and try an easy out, I have done it before in a subaru, it took a few hours and some gentle heating of the head with a torch.

Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline 78rustbucket

Re: PLUG'S
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2005, 04:16:00 AM »
that really sucks, happened to me once on an aluminum headed cavalier. a proud and happy mac tools sales rep happened to stop by that day and was bragging off their extracters which he happily let me try, quickly break in half and hand back to him. ended up removing head and sending to a machine shop. dont think youll have it this bad as it was an aluminum head, everyones advice here should work out for ya.