Author Topic: Starter will work at first and then after driving around for a while, it won't.  (Read 3694 times)

Offline Chuck Step-a-side

• Registered Users
Have a 1984 Chevy Stepside with 350 V8 and after driving truck for a while and making a stop I will try to restart the car only to hear a click from the starter. After a few tries it would catch and turn over or will need a quick jump. I have replaced the starter cam and starter switch in the column , the starter and engine wiring (used; cleaned up and Ohm out every connection). I have a new battery cable and a heat shield going to the starter. New negative battery cable and the battery was tested as ok at Advance Auto as well. I keep the battery on trickle charge during the week days.  I did 2 voltage drop tests while cracking engine. Negative side voltage drop test result was .25 to .27 volt and the starting system voltage drop test result was .39 to .43 volt. With those results, is there anything else I should look for my problem? I will not go on any long trips until I figure what the issue is. Thanks, Chuck

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
Re: Having starting issues after every few start up around town
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 05:09:40 PM »
I did 2 voltage drop tests while cracking engine. Negative side voltage drop test result was .25 to .27 volt and the starting system voltage drop test result was .39 to .43 volt.

Measured from where to where, exactly?  To what were the voltmeter probes actually connected?  What was the measured voltage at the 3/8" battery cable stud on the starter solenoid while the symptoms occurred?  Have you replaced the starter or solenoid?  Are the starter mounting bolts tight?
Rich
It's difficult to know just how much you don't know until you know it.
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!
87 R10 Silverado Fleetside 355 MPFI 700R4 3.42 Locker (aka Rusty, aka Mater)

Offline roadrunnerkitten

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 06:48:43 PM »
I did 2 voltage drop tests while cracking engine. Negative side voltage drop test result was .25 to .27 volt and the starting system voltage drop test result was .39 to .43 volt.

Measured from where to where, exactly?  To what were the voltmeter probes actually connected?  What was the measured voltage at the 3/8" battery cable stud on the starter solenoid while the symptoms occurred?  Have you replaced the starter or solenoid?  Are the starter mounting bolts tight?
Sounds like solenoid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Registered Users
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2018, 07:10:39 PM »

1st test was from battery negative post to the engine ground cable (battery cable).
2nd was from battery positive post to starter 3/8" post (battery cable).
Yes, the starter is a new and the mounting bolts are tight as well.

The battery tested good at 12.73 volt, but not like a new battery. Would a new battery help?

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 12:03:30 AM »
Recheck the "cranking voltage drop" across the complete ground path from the battery negative post to starter case while the no-crank symptom is occurring.  Post the result.  Also, measure the voltage at the solenoid "S" terminal while attempting to crank with the symptom active.

A fully charged lead-acid battery measures 12.6 volts (2.1 volts/cell).  Did you measure 12.73 volts between the battery cable "stud" at the starter solenoid and ground while the no-crank symptom occurred?
Rich
In other words... if people learn by making mistakes, by now I should know just about everything!!!

• Registered Users
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2018, 07:22:31 AM »
The volt 12.73 reading was measured at the battery post while idle. No, I haven't been tried that yet, but I will the next time the truck will not start.

• Registered Users
I have a 1984 C10 Silverado with 350. I need a clear wiring diagram for the starting flow from the starter switch to the conection block. I have a jumper wiring from the starter B terminal and when the key ignition won't start, can jump wire to battery and it will starts everytime. I believe my problem is a wiring inside the cab dash area. This is my previous post of my issue.

Have a 1984 Chevy Stepside with 350 V8 and after driving truck for a while and making a stop I will try to restart the car only to hear a click from the starter. After a few tries it would catch and turn over or will need a quick jump. I have replaced the starter cam and starter switch in the column , the starter and engine wiring (used; cleaned up and Ohm out every connection). I have a new battery cable and a heat shield going to the starter. New negative battery cable and the battery was tested as ok at Advance Auto as well. I keep the battery on trickle charge during the week days.  I did 2 voltage drop tests while cracking engine. Negative side voltage drop test result was .25 to .27 volt and the starting system voltage drop test result was .39 to .43 volt. With those results, is there anything else I should look for my problem? I will not go on any long trips until I figure what the issue is.

Thanks, Chuck

Offline bd

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 02:15:25 PM »
...measure the voltage at the starter solenoid "S" terminal while attempting to crank with the symptom active.

Did you do this?
Rich

• Registered Users
Finally, I was able to get a real non-cranking reading from charged up battery (12.7 volts). With Meter set at 200 ohm and meter wires on the battery neg. and the starter mounting bolt; with the key set to on and there's a .83 reading and when cranking (the starter is solenoid energizing,but not turning over motor) there is a 10.84 reading.  My guess there is a not a good connection between the starter and the motor because I can get an ohm reading from the battery neg. to engine and no reading from the starter to the engine block.  The starter is new, the surfaces are clean and the bolts are tight, so why would there be no continuity from the starter to the the engine? The engine did turn over and start.

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
1 you are ignoring bd's direction which is spot on. 2 you are jumping to measuring resistance on a live circuit with an ohm meter when you started out doing it correctly through voltage drop testing. Static resistance tests with whatever meter you have is a waste of time. Live resistance tests = blown meter fuse. Follow bd's direction and continue using live voltage drop tests.

As far as Advance testing your battery, you may as well flip a coin or do eenie meenie miney mo. If everything checks out okay but when you hook up a jumper there is no issue,  then you already have your answer.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Stewart G Griffin

The new starter might be crap too, but do the suggested tests first.

• Registered Users
Guys, I'll admit that didn't follow Db's direction and I had the meter on ohm for all testing, my bad. Unfortunately, the engine will turn over every time now. My truck is a weekend driver and the engine is so worn out to where I have blown back oil spitting out the breather and I can watch my fuel psi go from 2 psi to almost zero as the engine gets to operating temperature during idle. Therefore, I'm getting ready to install a rebuilt 350 motor once I get this electrical issue resolved. Let me come back at a later date with test results. Thanks, Chuck