Author Topic: 6.2 to 454  (Read 2583 times)

Offline 505 Mike

6.2 to 454
« on: February 11, 2020, 11:55:23 AM »
1982 K2500 6.2 TH400/NP208....
Basically looking for the "heads up" , I have ZERO interests on running the 6.2 . I have a 454 from a 1980 suburban C20.
What's gonna fit? Are the harnesses compatible?
454 is complete with the engine harness.
Gauge cluster on the 82 has idiot lights which I will NOT be using.
I have a good condition cluster from an 85 suburban.
I've read mixed answers on weather or not the torque converter is going to work. I've read its bolt in for the 454,I've also read theres issues with  mixing motor mounts 2wd vs 4wd. The 6.2 isnt running I was told it's been rebuilt, I have no desire to find out, all them filters looks like more maintenance I care to get into. If you smell the 💩💩 I'm steppin in throw some knowledge this way. Thank you in advance

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: 6.2 to 454
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 03:21:48 PM »
It's a pretty simple swap and yes you will need to put in a torque converter in that matches your engine. Get new motor mounts for the big block  There are plenty of threads and info posted in regards to gauge cluster pinouts but you will need to determine what you are installing vs what you have to repin and rewire it. Aftermarket has plenty of options as well.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 505 Mike

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2020, 06:23:10 AM »
There's been little to no information out there on the diesel bulkhead side of the harness... I'm not real confident its because there is no difference 🤔 I have no issue going to the u pull and grabbing a complete harness, although I do have the 80 suburban the 454 came from. I was just asking so I can get a head start on weather or not I needed to pull the harness from the get go or if I was going to be good to just plug in the engine harness into the bulkhead connector and repin the cluster 😖😖 on a side note I found it really odd that the 82 diesel truck has a sf rear. Id like more information to research for sure👍

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 07:52:12 AM »
You may be better off replacing the harness vs repinning if the truck is a keeper. Personally I'd put a new harness in and enjoy trouble-free clean, neat wiring vs 30 + year old decrepit and corroded wiring but it'll cost you around $800 for a complete wiring harness. For a carbureted big block you need very little to make it work, key on and cranking voltage to the coil, the starter wiring and the charge circuit. Figure out what cluster you are going to use and what harness you are going to use, then just make a crossover diagram. Make sure you solder and heat shrink all of your connections and do not bypass circuit protection if you are going to merge harnesses.

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=31456.0

http://forum.73-87chevytrucks.com/smforum/index.php?topic=30115.0
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10