Author Topic: A/C Re-install  (Read 2480 times)

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
A/C Re-install
« on: May 14, 2013, 10:37:32 PM »
This is for my 79 C20 standard cab with the sb350/th350. About 2 years ago, I rebuilt the heads on my 350 and removed the ac compressor, lines and drier because the ac didn't work. So now I'm working on putting it all back in again. I have to get a new bracket for the front of the compressor that's part of the power steering because I cut it down to make it smaller when I removed the parts originally. So, so far, I'm getting a new front bracket, new rear lower bracket for capability with my headers. I'm going to flush out the lines and condenser and evap core. I have a new drier, sealed and unopened, my compressor is still good. Also, my system was converted to 134 already so I don't have to do that. I'm also getting a new cycling switch and orifice tube.

With a new drier, cycling switch, front and rear bracket; flushed out evap core, lines, condenser; new o-rings and seals. I should be able to bolt everything back together, get everything hooked up and ready to go. I work at a Chevy Service/Dealership, so once I get that all done, I'm going to have them, evacuate/vacuum down/leak check and recharge and add compressor oil. With all that in mind and with all the parts in my cab working properly, I should have working air conditioning right?

I just wanted to make sure I was covering all my bases and not forgetting anything. What do you guys think? Thanks. :)
LTZ Cheyenne C20

Offline frotosride

• WFO CONCEPTS
Re: A/C Re-install
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2013, 05:53:35 PM »
Sounds like it to me but if I were you and the system was already in it's current state I would go ahead and replace the flex hoses just for good insurance down the  road. It would suck to get it all back together just to have a leak when you start it or a few weeks down the road.
"Beat it like a red-headed ford"
1987 v10 Silverado(LQ4), 87 R10,83 K20, 83 cucv 6.2 Detroit
2006 Boulevard M109R 109 cid,2019 M109R BOSS
2009 Jeep XK, (future LS Swap)
GSXR 750 engine awaiting go kart

Offline Jason S

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2013, 06:45:17 PM »
You didn't list an A/C compressor belt.. :)  Everything you listed sounds about right. 

If you haven't already, you might double check the wiring/switch from the dash control to verify that when you slide the lever to the A/C positions (including defrost) that there is power to the cycling switch. Also make sure the compressor has a good clean ground and there is good continuity from the compressor power wire back to the cycling switch.
1973 GMC K2500, Super Custom, Camper Special, 350, TH350, NP203, 4.10's
1974 Chevrolet K10, Custom Deluxe, 350, SM465, NP203, 3.73's

"1) Peace through strength; 2) Trust but verify; 3) Beware of evil in the modern world"

Offline 123 pugsy

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 07:43:29 PM »
I wish you luck. 

I replaced every piece on my system except the condensor and the darn thing is broken again.   :o
I've never had a system on either of the two trucks I've owned run without problems.
Pugsy
76 C10 LWB
TPI 350

Offline LTZ C20

• "I'm here for a good time" -George Strait
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 02:49:42 PM »
Hey froto, I was thinking abou that too, for now I'm gonna double check for obviously damage and clean it, if I start to worry about the hoses or find something wrong then I'll replace them. Jason, I did forget to mention belt, but I picked that up last night. I guess we will see what happens, Ive got all parts but one bracket I'm hopefully picking up saturday morning. Hopefully this works pretty painlessly. :)
LTZ Cheyenne C20