Author Topic: TBI, Carb, 5 lug, 6 Lug, need help  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Hammerhandle

TBI, Carb, 5 lug, 6 Lug, need help
« on: May 04, 2020, 10:41:27 PM »
Ok, I posted this here, because I am trying to cover multiple topics and Im looking for opinions and help.
Trying not to make this the repeat thread everyone posts.

As I mentioned in my hello new member post, I'm on the hunt for a Engine for my C10, well my cousin found me a mid 90's truck with a good 350, but blown 4l60 for $500, but just today I found a better deal, an entire 87 GMC Suburban with extreme body rot, but it has a Crate 350 that was installed by a dealer that now has only 70k miles, and many other usable parts like interior, the truck has a/c like mine, but has cruise control, and TBI.
I can pick this GMC burb up for the same price but has more parts i can salvage.

So a few questions,
what issues might I come across converting the 76 to use the EFI and cruise control or anything else electrical this truck has that mine does not (I know the TBI isnt great but i need this to be my 3 season daily)
-Can i find a direct fit in tank fuel pump for the efi? (or will the 87 one fit in my 76 tank) also the truck has sat so i assume the one in the burb is shot)
-Any firewall holes the 87 has that the 76 doesn't that are necessary?
-steering column issues for ignition or anything?

Now dang near everything i read about converting to 6 lug said dont do it, the wheel choices are plentiful, but you wont find the right offset.
I am dead set on Bronze Method NV Rims for this truck, I dont intend to convert it to 4wd (the gmc burb is 4wd) I assume the offset offered in the 6 lug method rims wont be enough to push the wheels out near the fender edge, funny enough they dont even offer bronze for 5x5 lug unless I go to 20" rims.

Since I mentioned in my hello post,  I am not a Chevy guy, Im not up to speed on Used square body stuff, so my question comes in, is there a market for the Burb 4wd axles, 4wd 700r4, GMC grille setup including hood, and blue burb interior parts (it even has a third row seat and rear heater) and any other parts to salvage that i can move them quickly, or do i get what i need and send her (eek) to the salvage yard, and honestly guys the rot in the rear is almost all the way up to the rear windows, the jams and doors are shot also
I dont wanna destroy usable parts, but i also dont have any storage space left with my business in my garage, and my other truck (F250) torn down to the frame. So i would have to move parts quickly.

Thanks guy, I appreciate all the help you can give to this Ford guy about this Chevy.

Offline Stewart G Griffin

Re: TBI, Carb, 5 lug, 6 Lug, need help
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2020, 10:10:42 AM »
Do you need/want cruise control?    There are ways to put CC in without TBI and vice-versa.

To me, the easiest way to go from 5 to 6 lugs is to use an adapter.   i was going to put the 2000up 3/4 ton aluminum rims on but decided not to because it would have costed $1400 after everything was done---i would have to get new 16" tires since the rims i had originally were 15".   To me, not worth $1400 just for looks.   The 5 lug aluminum astro wheels i have now look good enough.
This is all just my opinion.

There may be some 60's trucks that had a 6 lug rotor that can fit on a later spindle.   Don't have time to research right now.   

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2020, 03:57:51 PM »
TBI sending unit and pump will drop right in, the only difference is there is no slosh baffle. Keep at least a 1/4 tank of fuel and you'll never have an issue. When it comes time to put in a new tank, put in an 87 tank. You can literally trace the hole in the firewall for the harness and put it in the exact same spot.

Adapters are fine. Clean the mating surfaces and torque all fasteners in sequence to spec. Make sure the studs do not protrude past the adapter flange.

When you are done stripping the Burb, you can part it out or sell it whole. There's always a market for these trucks.
,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Hammerhandle

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 11:41:44 PM »
Do you need/want cruise control?    There are ways to put CC in without TBI and vice-versa.

To me, the easiest way to go from 5 to 6 lugs is to use an adapter.   i was going to put the 2000up 3/4 ton aluminum rims on but decided not to because it would have costed $1400 after everything was done---i would have to get new 16" tires since the rims i had originally were 15".   To me, not worth $1400 just for looks.   The 5 lug aluminum astro wheels i have now look good enough.
This is all just my opinion.

There may be some 60's trucks that had a 6 lug rotor that can fit on a later spindle.   Don't have time to research right now.

You dont realize how much you miss cruise control till you dont have it.
I travel 1-2 hr trips on a regular basis, so its a nice convenience to have.
Actually the TBI would be my preference over carb at the moment.

Thanks for the reply

Offline Hammerhandle

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2020, 11:49:41 PM »
TBI sending unit and pump will drop right in, the only difference is there is no slosh baffle. Keep at least a 1/4 tank of fuel and you'll never have an issue. When it comes time to put in a new tank, put in an 87 tank. You can literally trace the hole in the firewall for the harness and put it in the exact same spot.

Adapters are fine. Clean the mating surfaces and torque all fasteners in sequence to spec. Make sure the studs do not protrude past the adapter flange.

When you are done stripping the Burb, you can part it out or sell it whole. There's always a market for these trucks.

Thanks for the info about the tank, I may just grab a new 87 tank right away.

I realized my post made it sound like i wanted 6 lug, but i was considering opinions on the matter, and for me, adapters are a No Go option.

I realized besides interior burb specific parts, and the GMC grille etc, there wont be much left to offer anyone (friend who is into off road said the burb axles are nothing special)

appreciate the replies guys, thanks for the info!!!