Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Discussion / Re: 73 Caprice fuel gauge
« Last post by Mike81K10 on Today at 11:57:02 AM »
The Fuel Sending Unit in the older trucks and vehicles can get gummed up and rusted over time. The tanks would rust from moisture and ethanal gas did not help when it came out. If your sending unit and/or fuel tank has not been inspected, it might be a good place to go.

The pics of the sending unit that was in my truck is shown below and my truck was still running and driving at the time, probably not for long. The corrosion buildup does have an effect on the gauge.
« Last post by gwcrim on Today at 09:20:11 AM »
I skimmed through that post to educate myself on the operation of the system.  I'm not super good with electronics, so please bear with me. 

A full tank creates higher resistance that makes the gauge read full, right?  So if there's failing ground, the gauge would read full?

My thinking is that, at 51 years old, the ground strap might be the culprit.  In order to test that, I could access the gauge wire under the dash and look for resistance of more than 88 ohms with a full tank?
« Last post by Captkaos on Today at 08:06:44 AM »
General Discussion / 73 Caprice fuel gauge
« Last post by gwcrim on May 27, 2024, 06:40:06 PM »
Not really sure where to ask this question, so here it goes.

I have a nice 1973 Caprice convertible.  The fuel gauge is getting stuck on full.  Every now and then (usually after a hard turn) it will dip down and show what I hope is an accurate reading but then it goes back to full.  If the float was bad, it would read empty all the the time I would imagine.  What could be causing this situation?
Welcome / Re: Old guy and grandson with 80 scotsdale stepside.
« Last post by JohnnyPopper on May 27, 2024, 02:35:40 PM »
Welcome from SoCal San Diego! Thanks for carrying on the tradition!

I gave my son my '55 Apache Series II Stepside about 30 years ago, been mothballed for about 20. His daughter want to resurrect it, so looks like I will have another project soon.

Please post pics before and after... ;D
Engine/Drivetrain / Re: 357 (350 - .40 Over) Build Questions Etc
« Last post by Mike81K10 on May 26, 2024, 03:04:27 PM »
I have been trying to find a Pilot Bushing installation tool to no avail except the one that sort-of looks like the alignment tool. Did not want to beat or hammer one in. I preferred to press it in gently to prevent bearing damage etc.

Ended up buying a couple of 4" 7/16" bolts, grade 8. They did not have the right thread pith of 7/16 in.-20, so I used my tap and die set and ran the two bolts through the 7/16 in.-20 die about 4 times, and cleaned off the threads. Then gently screwed them in to check the fitment, using anti seize just in case. They worked out well.

I used the two bolts in a wheel puller kit (it did not have any 7/16" bolts - reason I had to buy them) that had to be slightly modified so the 7/16" bolts could be used. It worked out well with a flat fitting between the Pilot Bushing and the tool. It slide in without much resistance.

I reinstalled the two flywheel bolts I removed for the tool and installed the clutch and pressure plate using the alignment tool to keep the clutch positioned correctly.
73-87 Chevy & GMC Trucks / Re: I never see this style hubcap.
« Last post by philo_beddoe on May 25, 2024, 10:16:56 PM »
« Last post by zieg85 on May 25, 2024, 04:07:40 PM »
Welcome from the St. Louis, MO area!
« Last post by Mike81K10 on May 24, 2024, 11:35:22 PM »
Welcome Jim from Alabama!
73-87 Chevy & GMC Trucks / Re: I never see this style hubcap.
« Last post by zieg85 on May 24, 2024, 10:43:17 PM »
Tons of factory 73-87 hub caps on eBay and such, but I never see these “wheel covers.” Anyone?

Marketplace ads in my 250mile radius shows at least 2 folks having them.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10