Author Topic: Accessory key position  (Read 13268 times)

Offline GUITAR1989

• Registered Users
    • What I've done to my truck so far :)
Accessory key position
« on: January 24, 2011, 05:43:12 PM »
Hey guys my step dad told me a while back to make sure the key was turned all the way to the off position when my trucks not running and that If it were left in the middle it would burn the points out in my distributor. So im just wondering is there no accessory key position on my truck...The key just goes from...off to-middle area where it doesnt click in or anything but it will power up accessories-to turning over the engine..if i leave the key somewhere in the middle it does power up the stereo and lights but is it ment for that or is it burning out the points like my step dad said? Id like to be able to listen to some tunes when im messing with my truck without having it running sucking up gas..but not at the expense of my distributor...my trucks a 74 stepside. is there any easy way i can tell if its HEI or points without messing anything up?

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
Re: Accessory key position
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 05:55:31 PM »
The accessory position is the opposite direction from the start position. instead if forward, turn it back one notch. To tell if HEI or points, points has a small cap with the coil to the side, HEIis a bug cap with the coil (square shape box) on top of the cap
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline jackjeckel757

• Registered Users
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2011, 06:55:57 PM »
my '77 doesn't seem to have an accessory position, the ignition only turns forward- lock-unlock-on-start, is it supposed to go back to acc?

Offline GUITAR1989

• Registered Users
    • What I've done to my truck so far :)
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2011, 08:32:18 PM »
Man I feal stupid ???....Chop you were dead on when I turn the key back to where it says lock on my collumn the stereo comes on. Thanks man x) lets just forget this ever happened lol
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:33:51 PM by GUITAR1989 »

Offline jackjeckel757

• Registered Users
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2011, 08:39:11 PM »
Mine doesn't go back, is there something wrong with it? Its actually kind of hard to turn to start also, maybe I should take it apart and lube it.

Offline Captkaos

• OWNER and Administrator
  • Administrator
    • http://www.73-87chevytrucks.com
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2011, 08:49:44 PM »
All of them go backwards.  If yours is having a hard time going forward it probably needs attention.  Generally you have to push it in slightly to get it to turn back.

Offline jackjeckel757

• Registered Users
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 03:46:51 PM »
Well I just took my ignition apart and lubed it, it goes forward great now but still won't go back to accessory. I can see when I have it out that it could go back, just doesn't want too, and now it won't lock either, I figure I will look into a new ignition...

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 04:57:23 PM »
Was the black plastic cam set in the aluminum rack properly? Was the spring in properly? I just took mine apart so im fresh on it.

What wont lock?

Offline jackjeckel757

• Registered Users
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2011, 06:33:50 PM »
I didn't pull apart the lock cylinder, just spray lubed it from both sides after it was out of the column. Even though it turns much better now, It won't lock in the lock position now, I can turn it without the key and it won't turn to the acc position.  Did you open the lock cylinder up? I figured for 10-15 bucks I can just get a new one but if its an easy fix I might give it a shot.

Offline choptop

• Extended cab fanatic
    • conversiontrucks
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2011, 06:46:18 PM »
Man I feal stupid ???....Chop you were dead on when I turn the key back to where it says lock on my collumn the stereo comes on. Thanks man x) lets just forget this ever happened lol

Lol, I know youre not the only one who has had this question because Ive answered it before just not online. The newer vehicles have the first indention as the accessory position, so unless your use to the old ones, its not noticably marked.
76 C10 Choptop,76 C10 Swb
85 C10, 85 K10, 85 K20,86 C10,86 K10 (all extended cabs)
86 C30 extended crewcab

Offline jackjeckel757

• Registered Users
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 02:52:51 PM »
Went to Pep Boys forked over the $11.95 + tax for new ignition and it was well worth it.  Now it locks and I have the accessory position. But after putting the steering wheel back on now my horn doesn't work, it figures...

Offline beastie_3

• Josh
    • My truck pics
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 05:02:40 PM »
Pull the button and check the wiring with a circuit tester.

Offline jackjeckel757

• Registered Users
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2011, 08:54:53 PM »
The horn itself works, for some reason I can't get the parts in the button to go back together right, at first the horn wouldn't shut off and then it stopped working all together and then I lost ambition! Will get a fresh start tomorrow.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 05:12:04 AM »
Aftermarket steering wheel ???
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline jackjeckel757

• Registered Users
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 09:54:10 AM »
Its the factory steering wheel, I can't tell if I am putting the parts back in right, probably should have paid more attention during disassembly, and there are no pics in the   or Haynes books..