73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Interior & Equipment

speakers

(1/1)

cimfth:
I just got a Koss CD player for free from a friend it has a detachable faceplate and says 7 watts X 4. What would be a good speaker choice? I heard if I got like a 100 watt speaker it would be to much and it wouldn't sound good because the radio has low watts. Would 2 6x9's in the rear be good? Thanks for the help I don't know much about this stuff

86SilveradoEric:
with the cd player only putting out 7 watts per channel, you're kinda screwed with getting any quality sound.  100 watt 6x9s would be a perfect application if you had a cd player that put out around 50 watts.  most speakers have a minimal amount of wattage needed to push them...pretty much, the more watts you're feeding a speaker, the less you have to turn the volume up to get it louder.  if you're wanting to keep that 7 watt koss, you've got two options: get some 10-20, maybe 25 watt speakers and wire those up; or if you have preamp outputs on the back of the cd player(red and white RCA posts), you can run an external amplifier...just find a 2-channel amp that'll push two 80-100watt 6x9s and you're set..and, as you know, with an amp you need a 12 volt power source and a ground..it just depends on how much work you're wanting to spend...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version