73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Wheels & Tires

3/4 ton rim and tire size

(1/2) > >>

TMW:
I am changing my 86 c10 to a 3/4 ton for pulling my race car. What is the rim and tire size combo on this so i don't mess up my speedo. Also are ther any other combo that are a little wider than stock fo a more aggressive look. Thanks TMW

blu85silverado:
My old 84 c20  had 16x7 rims with 215/85/16 on it stock,
but for a while I ran 245/75/16. but i did put on a set of 88-00 chevy steel rims same size with trim rings and center caps with 265/75/16 that looked the best and was a pretty close match to stock hight but was a lot wider. but if i understand right you want to match the c10 tire size which is probably 235/75/15. I dont know what size would match that in a 16 in. but your rearend gear ratio also makes a difference. if you go to a higher gear like 4.10:1 over a 3.23: or some thing like that your axel would be turning faster than it used to so you would also be going faster than you actualy are so you might be beter off just to buy a seedometer gear for the gear ratio in the 3/4 ton rear end and run one of the tire 16in. size's above and not worry about it or just buy a 3/4 or 1 ton for real cheap. but what ever makes you happy  

73K20:
I need to know what tire size you currently have.  I am assuming that you have a 15" 5 lug wheel now and are going to a 16" wheel.  I am also going to assume that you have a 10 bolt rear, which is a really weak rear end.  What exactly are you doing to do to convert your truck to a 3/4 ton?  If you get a 14bFF then you will have to go with 8 lug wheels which will require 16" wheels and new front spindles to accomodate the new 8 lug pattern.  Why dont you just find a 14 bolt semi-floating rear and go with it.  I believe that you would be able to find a 14bSF axle with a 5 lug pattern.  This would allow you to still run the same 5 lug 15" wheel and MAYBE only have to change tire size to fit the new gear ratio.  If you get into changing front spindles and driveshafts and.......... in the end you will be better off to just buy a 3/4 ton truck.  I just fore see many trouble spots ahead for you.  I dont know what you have in mind for this conversion, but i hope that some of this info is helpful. 1973 K20 - 350/350/205

87threequarterblue:
You could use a 14b FF and just have two different size wheels. Leave the half ton front end intact.
That would be the easiest route and you could beef up the rear with heavier springs and rearend. If you know your ratios, we can come up with a tire size for you.

TMW:
I have found an 87 8-lug floater rear and an 84 8-lug front end complete. I am an ASE certified mechanic and for my own personal stuff the labor is free. I plan to rebuild all of the parts before installing them all at one time on the truck. I started pricing out new trucks and i'm glad i was sitting down when i saw the prices. The body in excelent shape (rust free-dent free) with a new motor and trans, and besides I really like the truck. thanks TMW

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version