73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Steering Columns

steering column looseness

(1/2) > >>

Cheekster96:
hey gang, how goes it. hope you all are having a better summer than we are up here in Maine.  nothing but alot of cold rainy days thus far.  oh well.
i have an 87 3/4 ton 4x4 chevy (350 TBI 4.10 gears) in which the steering column has been getting very loose.  it has the tilt column too.  the steering wheel will move left and right and up and down very loosely and have noticed it sticks sometimes (very briefly) while on the road and turning.  enough to really get my attention.  i was doing some reading and was wondering if it may the hold down pins (not sure if that is right terminology) that have let go or what.  also, when the key is in the ACC position (playin radio or whatever with the engine off), if i bump the steering wheel, the key will turn to the OFF position very easily.
any thoughts?  im gonna take the dash off and get to the lower part of the column and see if ican see anything.  if not, i ll make an appt at the local chevy shop.
thanks all.
enjoy your weekend.
Lee
96Z 383

DrpdShrty:
my column on my 85 was really  loose like you are talkin about.,  it is a real $#@% to get back in there but there are 2 bolts that probably need to be tightened. Good Luck

TRUCK6DRIVER:
The tilt column has 2 places that need addressed. The up and down section has 2 pins that are driven into the head. They can be taped back in with a hammer. The other place that comes loose, is the 4 mounting bolts under the swivel ball. They are inverted torx bolts. To get to these you must remove the entire upper section of the column. You will need some special tools to remove the piviot pins and a column press tool to remove the lock ring spring lock. It is easy if you have the tools. It will take about an hour to do it right. If you live close by I would be glad to help you out, if you could bring the truck by. Good luck.
Ray

Cheekster96:
thanks for the reply.  i have an old junker of a truck (87 GMC) which is rusted through so i tried to take that steering column apart to see what is what.  needless to say, i broke more stuff than was good.
so, i took my truck to a chevy dealership and they told me they wouldnt touch my truck!  why?  because it was too old and they only work on the newer Silverados and so forth.  but i told him my truck had the Silverado trim..lol  he still said no.
so, i guess i ll go to a automotive shop in the area and try my luck there.
could i lose steering if i continue driving it the way it is?  it hasnt gotten any worse, but sure is not getting better.
thanks for your help.
Lee
96Z 383

TRUCK6DRIVER:
Depending what is actually wrong with the column will depend on what will happen if you continue to drive it. The worst would be that it would lock up while turning. I have seen them come loose completely and you end up holding the upper set while turning. If the repair shop wants an arm and a leg to repair it, look into getting a good used one. You can pick up one for about what you would pay a shop to repair the old one. Too bad you don't live closer. I would not mine helping you out. Good luck.
Ray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version