73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Steering Columns

Three on the Tree column rebuild

(1/3) > >>

jbsealy:
Gentlemen,

Took the column out of my 3 speed 1984 C10 I6 today.  The column shift has needed some adjustment/lubrication and then it got to where I had to twist the heck out of the key and curse heavily to get the starter to engage.

Disassembling the unit with lots of pictures so I can get it back together.  The FSM is not all that helpful.  Some of the components on my column are not pictured or referred to in the manual.  The manual categorizes directions etc by years and the 1984 falls into the "1973 forward" group.  Anyway I got it all down to what you see in the picture where I am attempting to separate the turn signal/key cylinder housing and it will only go as far as you can see here. No matter where the key cylinder is turned or if the cylinder is removed will it go any farther. All the screws are removed, but it catches on something.  Might any of you fellows have any ideas?

Any other ideas or resources on this later model column with shifter would be welcome.

Thank you very much,

Selo

zieg85:
Are you saying you cannot remove the lock cylinder out of the column?

jbsealy:
Hi Carl,

Apologies, I did not make that very clear.  Note the ~1/2" gap between the section of column housing which contains the key cylinder and the section which contains the shift lever.  I can not pull them any farther apart.  Manual seems to indicate it should slide right out. Just so you know, I can remove the key cylinder and turn it as needed.

JS

jbsealy:
Carl,

I worked with it until blue in the face, wiggling the dang thing every which way and it came out.  I'm still not certain  what was keeping it from coming out, but out it is.

Thank you again for reading my post and taking an interest.  I'll keep you posted.

JS

zieg85:
I've never taken any column apart beyond the housing with the key and non-tilt even.  I have 1 busted collar 3 on the tree in my 86 and 2 others.  Never even tried because the parts are NLA from GM and no one made aftermarket that I could find.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version