73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > 4 Wheel Drives

New to GM 4WD Pickups: The Good and the Bad

(1/3) > >>

roo_ster:
Howdy:

Is there any GM 4WD gear/configurations best avoided?  Any that is preferred?

I am on the prowl for a 4WD GM pickup, Blazer, or Suburban, 1973-2006, preferably 1973-1987 (or 1991 for Subs). I have some time behind the wheel and under GM pickups, but precious little with GM 4WD.  My 4WD experience was with HMMWV and RSOV in the service.  Those are entirely different critters.

JohnnyPopper:
Avoid the NP203 full time Transfer case. I think they stopped making/using them in 1979.

They are convertible to part time if you get stuck with one.

I'd look for a NP205.

blazer74:
Might want to reference your intentions with the truck.

roo_ster:

--- Quote from: JohnnyPopper on February 18, 2021, 04:15:43 PM ---Avoid the NP203 full time Transfer case. I think they stopped making/using them in 1979.

They are convertible to part time if you get stuck with one.

I'd look for a NP205.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the heads-up.

--- Quote from: blazer74 on February 19, 2021, 03:10:19 PM ---Might want to reference your intentions with the truck.

--- End quote ---

4WD truck stuff.  Like the 2WD trucks I have owned, but with more off-road/bad-road and snow capability.

Am I missing something?

bd:

--- Quote from: roo_ster on February 19, 2021, 07:22:59 PM ---
--- Quote from: blazer74 on February 19, 2021, 03:10:19 PM ---Might want to reference your intentions with the truck.

--- End quote ---

4WD truck stuff.  Like the 2WD trucks I have owned, but with more off-road/bad-road and snow capability.

Am I missing something?

--- End quote ---

Daily driver, work truck, rock crawling, mudding, overland, expeditions, hunting/fishing, graded forest service roads, highway, mall queen, etc...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version