73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Heating, Ventilation & Air Conditioning (HVAC)

A/C conversion

(1/3) > >>

MY1978:
Okay, I have a 1978 C10 w/350 and it has the original A/C systems that you can not get (or afford) the freon for.  I have had several people say that you do not need to drop $1,500 - $2,000 for a new system to convert it.  There is apparently a less expensive work around that works great.  Anyone like to share that knowledge?   :)

Shifty:
Flush (Dura141 flush solvent), the system completely, install new accumulator and orifice tube, add r134a conversion fittings, and green or blue o-rings at all the connections, and then run r134a.  Not as efficient as r12, but also around $7/can.

You should be able to get the job done for less than $100 in parts...(flush solvent being the most expensive thing)

VileZambonie:
This is not a DIY job for someone who does not have the equipment. Yes, you can buy the fittings and such for a few bucks but call around and ask what they would charge for a retrofit. I would charge about $325 out the door for a retrofit on one of these trucks done 100% correctly if that helps for reference.

Mike81K10:
Good point VZ! After the system retrofit is completed a vacuum has to be done and servicing with the correct amount of freon/oil etc. Many years ago I took up a training program on vehicle A/C repair and learned how to trouble shoot repair and even tear down compressors and rebuild them etc. Right now I would have a shop with the correct equipment and experience service my A/C to ensure it was right because it been so long ago since I messed with it and I don't have the equipment.

JohnnyPopper:
Mike! We sound like we're from the same mold: Old Goofs  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version