73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Steering Columns

Steering Column Conversion

(1/2) > >>

wboszak:
I recently picked up an 86 C20 2wd.  Previous owner converted from automatic to manual transmission.  He didn't convert the steering column though.  I am looking for a new cover for the existing column to replace the automatic shift, an OEM column without the automatic or a custom column that would easily fit.  Any suggestions?  How difficult is the remove and replacement of the column if a simple cover cannot be found?

HAULIN IT:
Changing the whole column is easier if you get one with a key or get a locksmith to make one for you. Disassembling them is not that difficult, however there are a few special tools needed (steering wheel puller,lock plate pusher,ect) The whole column can be changed with a phillips screwdriver,10mm,15mm deepwell & maybe some other simple hand tools. If you try to buy the part new, it will cost more than a used column in most cases. A manual floor shift column isn't the most popular, however should not be that hard to come up with. Lorne

Hank Hill:
I dont have a parts catologue in front of me but if I remember right even though those coloumns look a like there are differences between 73-87.
Example 73 was one type, 74 to late 70s was another.
What wears out in them anyways? Example on my one truck the coloumn is tight but the steering wheel tends to squeek a little bit. Doesnt hurt anything but its kind of annoying. Any idea whats causeing the squeek?

Restrorob:

I have the same problem, Haven't found a standard bell or column for my 74. I plan on smoothing the bell and fill the hole in, It needs paint before re-install anyway.

Dragon:
If you want to use your Original column, I would suggest one of these.
A Monte Carlo Column Bowl:

Found here:
http://www.dixiemontecarlodepot.com/items/DM00227.html
GM pretty much used the same basic column design in it's cars/trucks/vans/etc.  since the mid/late 1960's, to the early 2000, just with different lengths,spline count,shaft diameter....  The majority of the internal and external parts interchange with all the different ones....

A Chilton/Hayne manual covers enough info on how to get down to where you need to be in the column, but when indoubt I would suggest refering to their diagrams, and pictures...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version