Author Topic: 77 K20 ignition failure  (Read 3442 times)

Offline j_marshall23

77 K20 ignition failure
« on: March 22, 2008, 12:36:59 AM »
Ok today I went out and started my truck and went to go get gas, all is well.  Go to turn off the truck....and nothing key comes out and it keeps running.  So I go to the part store and get the ignition switch and the key cylinder thinking that one or the other is broken.  I get home take it apart and neither are broke.  The metal rod that runs in between attaches to a gear that is turned by the key.  The gear is busted.  Were can I find this part?  Any help would be appreciated.     
Marshall
1977 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4
396 Big Block, TH350

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
Re: 77 K20 ignition failure
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2008, 08:01:26 AM »
I am not sure you can get this aftermarket, or even from GM anymore. All the trucks I have owned I have never had one of them break?? I would say a junk yard. Probably won't break up a column though, have to buy the whole thing.
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2008, 08:12:36 AM »
That's called the steering column rack mechanism. I've replaced 34985734 of them. GM sells them in a repair kit comes with everything you need less the tools and a glob of grease.

I just googled GM steering column rack repair kit and came up with a bunch of them. I would still try a gm dealer thoguh 1st

http://www.americanclassic.com/Google_Base_HTML_Pages/HRN-102NOS-1979.htm

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline Blazin

• Blazin new trails!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2008, 04:17:54 PM »
One thing I have never had to replace, imagination that!
Some people are like Slinkies. Not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs

Offline Dragon

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 01:52:06 AM »
It should be available through any well stocked parts store, are still available through a GM Dealer, and should also be able to get them from Year One/Etc...  Just besure to tell them the year and weither it is for a Tilt or Non-Tilt Column(Universal through all Models,GM Brands,and Engine/Trans Combos)....
Dragon
08 Magnum-New Toy
96 Caprice 9C1-Who Knows
96 GMC ECLWB & 92 Chevy ECLWB
77 GMC K25 HS-Gone but Not Forgotten