73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Seats and Restraints

Stubborn seat bolts and seatbelt anchors

(1/1)

SUX2BU99:
Does anybody know a good remedy for stubborn factory seat bolts? My leather buckets I put in uses two of the factory bolt holes and they can be a real pain to get threaded all the way. Same with the seat belt bolts. Can I just wire brush the threads? Do I need to re-tap the holes? They go in about 1/4 of the way and get jammed up on some of them.

Also, I'd like something more substantial for the other 3 holes per seat to anchor to. Currently the grade 8 bolts, and grade 5 nuts (no grade 8 nuts available) are bolted from underneath with just the nut, lock washer and fender washer. I want something permanent so I don't have to crawl under it everytime I need to take the seats out. I know Autoloc has an anchor but it's too big and bulky to weld under my floor. I'd like to do what the factory did which is simply a 1/2" or so thick piece of steel that's about 1" square and tapped for the seat bolt. Small and simple. I could have the washers welded to the floor and the nut welded to the washers but that seems kinda tacky.

VileZambonie:
Run a tap through the holes.... the other ones just weld the nuts to the plate and weld them on.

SUX2BU99:
Aight. Maybe I'll get a shop to drill and tap some 1" solid square stock and cut it into 3/4" pieces and then have a muffler shop or somebody weld them on the floor pan. Looks more factory that way IMO.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version