73-87 Chevy _ GMC Trucks > Seats and Restraints

Drivers Side Seat Belt

(1/1)

77IndyStepside:
Hey Guys,

Thought that I would post my first question and see what everyone thought.  The drivers side seat belt will not come out of the winding unit on the floorboard.  If I give it a pull it locks like it would if you were in an accident or if you were to pull it quickly.  I can only pull it out about an inch before it locks up and will not come any further. 

Is this a common problem?  I have not taken the cover off the unit to look for an obvious issue inside.  Let me know what you think or if there is a way to correct this.  Thanks. 

Dragon:
Yes this is a common problem with all seatbelt winders, once they have gotten to be a certain age....   It generally has to do with all the grime, and other build up the belts have been exposed to with heavy/longterm use...  Our Trucks will have even more of a problem, even after a shorter time frame, due to the location of the retractor mech....   

Usually one can get away with giving the belts a good detailed cleaning, and removing as much grime as possible from the Mechs themselves...  Note when Cleaning the Belts, never use any harsh chemicals or bleaches, as they will weaken the belt meterial....  Always use only a nice Warm/Luke Warm water, to keep the belts from shrinking... Use only a Mild Preferable Non-Detergent type soap, and a soft but firm plastic/nylon bristle brush for subborn stains(Sometimes it is necessary to soak the belts, but make sure you do not submerge or expose the Retractor Mechs/Belt Buckles to water, as they will freeze up) ....

77IndyStepside:

--- Quote from: Dragon on May 30, 2008, 12:54:31 PM ---Yes this is a common problem with all seatbelt winders, once they have gotten to be a certain age....   It generally has to do with all the grime, and other build up the belts have been exposed to with heavy/longterm use...  Our Trucks will have even more of a problem, even after a shorter time frame, due to the location of the retractor mech....   

Usually one can get away with giving the belts a good detailed cleaning, and removing as much grime as possible from the Mechs themselves...  Note when Cleaning the Belts, never use any harsh chemicals or bleaches, as they will weaken the belt meterial....  Always use only a nice Warm/Luke Warm water, to keep the belts from shrinking... Use only a Mild Preferable Non-Detergent type soap, and a soft but firm plastic/nylon bristle brush for subborn stains(Sometimes it is necessary to soak the belts, but make sure you do not submerge or expose the Retractor Mechs/Belt Buckles to water, as they will freeze up) ....

--- End quote ---

So it may just be an issue of cleaning the mechanism then.  I can give that a shot when I get home today.  I am not going to be able to clean much of the belt itself as it will not come out of the retractor mech.  Maybe that it why the thing is locked up now - from getting wet in the past maybe. 

Thanks for the tip. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version