Author Topic: New guy needs help  (Read 2142 times)

Offline nabooth455

New guy needs help
« on: November 01, 2005, 03:38:00 AM »
Hey guys I am new to this board and need some help with my new truck.  I just purchased a 1976 gmc ¾ ton sierra grande about 3 weeks ago.  This is my first old 4x4 purchase and I am in need of some help.  I have experience with working on and repairing vehicles, so I do have mechanical knowledge, but just not much on 4x4’s. I believe I have the np203 t-case in my truck, I have not crawled under to make sure however.  The truck does have manual locking hubs and the Lo Loc, Lo, Neutral, Hi, Hi Loc shifter indicators.  I believe a full time conversion has been done, but am not guaranteed on that.   I read on this board that it is important to flip the hubs and drive the truck in 4 wheel drive mode every once in a while to keep everything lubed properly.  So, that is what I did today on my way to work and that is when my problems began.  Here are the issues I came across.  

Side note:  The truck rides on 35” wild countrys on 16” rims, and has a lift on it (not sure how much).

Prolems

1.        When the hubs are locked and driving in Hi Loc there was a loud clunk coming from the front drivers side wheel when taking a right turn, and only a right turn.

2.        After making a turn the vehicle pulled dramatically in the direction the turn was made.  It took a little doing/counter steering to get the truck to drive straight, however after about 5 seconds or so the truck would drive straight as an arrow once again.

3.        After accomplishing these 2 first to problems in only 3 blocks or so, I pulled over to shift the vehicle back into the position I had been driving in for the 3 weeks I have owned the vehicle (HI  I believe, is it possible to drive the vehicle in neutral?).  I shifted the transmission into neutral and tried shifting the t-case through all 5 settings, but stopped when it sounded and felt like it was grinding into gear (such as a manual transmission makes when you don’t depress the clutch).  It went into neutral find but trying to shift into LO or HI again I got the grinding noise.  I then tried to shift the vehicle transmission into park but received a slight grinding noise when trying to shift through reverse into park.  The grinding and noise would not persist/repeat itself after turning off the ignition and starting it again for either transmission shifter or t-case shifter.

So go ahead and tell me the scary truths, or your ideas, and how much it might cost to fix these problems if you have past knowledge.  I can handle it, I didn’t pay much for the vehicle and plan on fixing it up and keeping it for a long while.  I love the truck and have no direct plans to part with it.  As I said previously I have owned this truck only for about 3 weeks and it has run like a champ.  Drives, great and starts up on the first of second try no matter the temperature, or if it has sat for a couple days.  

Thanx for all your help guys this board looks like an awesome source for knowledge and assistance with my beloved truck.

Nate

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: New guy needs help
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 10:39:00 AM »
The clunking it the front is due to the fact that you were driving in Hi-Loc and on pavement.  Does it do that same in gravel or loose dirt?  Driving with the fronts locked on pavement is not recommended and will bind the drive train.  The pulling is probably due to the same issue, but hard to tell over the internet.

If the T-case is in neutral, the truck won't move.  It is just like having the transmission in neutral.

Where you shifting the T-case while the truck was still in drive?  This probably may have caused the grinding.  Try shifting with the truck in neutral or park.

As for the required lubrication on a NP203, you only need to lock the hubs and run it that way about 10 miles for every 200miles of driving.  Basically just lock them once every week when you drive to work and then unlock them.  DON'T shift the t-case to Hi-Loc position.  It is ONLY necessary to lock the hubs.  Use the LOC positions ONLY off the pavement or you could possible bind the drive train and break weak components.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline nabooth455

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2005, 12:18:00 PM »
thanx for your help.  like i said i didnt drive it long on pavement so i hope i didnt damage anything too bad.  as a follow up question.  what is the Loc position best used for.  what would be the best position to drive in when there is snow on the road.  i am often driving in the snow at times that plows havent been out yet.

thanx again for all your help

Nate

Offline 1976Scottsdale

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 09:15:00 PM »
Loc is for off-roading.  Also, reach under the front end and in between the spindles and axle tubes and check to see that your axle joints are okay and not loose.  Also check ball joints... all the basics.  I have to remember that I am talking to a fellow mechanic and not one of my customers.  Hope this helps.

Scottsdale.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 10:07:00 AM »
As indicated, Loc position is for offroad where traction is necessary, Low positions are the same when you need more pulling power.

I personally would use Hi for the Ice and if you are in alot of snow, probably Hi-Loc, depending.

BTW, the NP203 t-case uses 10-30 MOTOR oil as the lubricant NOT gear oil.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project