Author Topic: '82 SWB want posi track Rear EndHow to or where to buy  (Read 10319 times)

Offline TexasDeuce

• New Users
'82 SWB want posi track Rear EndHow to or where to buy
« on: November 10, 2004, 08:05:00 PM »
I want to upgrade my trucks rear end to Posi track. I have an SBC 305 w/a 700 R4 tranny. Do I have to replace the complete RE or can I just swap out some gears. I'm also looking for the least expensive route for the swap.

Thanks ahead for all your help/suggestions,

Gabe  

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
Re: '82 SWB want posi track Rear EndHow to or where to buy
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 11:16:00 AM »
The cheapest route if you have an open differential is to install a Loc-Rite or EZ-Locker (there are a few others).  They replace the pieces in the open carrier.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline TexasDeuce

• New Users
Posi RE
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 08:35:00 PM »
Thanks for the response.

Does any one know wher I can find some of these parts that are recommended?

Offline shortchevy84

Re: Posi RE
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 09:14:00 PM »
i also had that same combo. 305 (now a 350), and a th 700r4. i also am looking for the posi rear end, around a 3.73 ratio. how am i to go about finding one of those. also, how do i know if its an open rear end that i have?...all i know is only one tire spins, and for some ---- reason it even has trouble doing that(even after mild cam, flat tops, and performer air gap intake) won't spin them off the line at all, unless i'm running with a higher than normal idle. anyway, any help for any of that is appreciated. thanks!

Edited by: roundedline at: 11/22/04 2:18 pm

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 01:56:00 PM »
You should be able to get it from any local 4x4 or performance store.  If you would rather buy online, I normally get stuff from www.randysringandpinion.com

As to finding a rearend with a specific ratio it isn't a simple task.  The only sure way to know what ratio a 20 or so year old truck has is to pull the cover and check the gear set.  As for how to tell if it has a limited slip or not, you will be able to tell when you pull the cover.  A limited slip will have a spring or actuator of some type as a part of the carrier.  The factory 12 bolt Eaton's look like this:

An open diff will have no springs or anything in the opening of the differential.  

If you are having problems with having enough power to spin 1 tire on an open diff, adding a limited slip will make is so it won't spin at all.   Sounds like you need to check the timing, mixture etc.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline RSBAD454

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 09:40:00 AM »
you can find lockers or posi's in Summit racing or Jegs...also use google to search.

Toys are my game

“If you're listening to a rock star in order to get your information on who to vote for, you're a bigger moron than they are.”
http://prosites-prs.homestead.com/
http://

Offline SUX2BU99

• My Cardomain Site. Truck is on Page 6.
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2005, 02:18:00 PM »
A friend of mine blew up the factory lim slip in his 83 HO Z28 5 speed and put an Auburn cone-type posi in it. Really nice piece. I would recommend that also.

I too have a problem with being able to light up my tires :(  I have an open diff in 81 shortbox as well (not sure of ratio) and a 350 with a Dart II Sportsman intake, Edelbrock 650 carb, 030 overbore, not sure on cam or heads but I cannot get it to light the 295/50-15s up on take off. Pulls strong if it doesn't totally bog but no spin. Oh, and I got a TH 350 with a shift kit and presumably stock stall on it.

85 Chevy Silverado C10 short, wide, yellow, 2wd. Lowered, 60-over 350 with Dart Iron Eagle heads and Comp Cams XE268 cam, TH350 w/ shift kit, 3.40 Gov-lok 12 bolt.

Offline roundedline

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 02:59:00 PM »
This is just my personal opinion from past experience but I couldn't recommend an Auburn cone based on it is designed to wear itself out, Again, this is my opinion.

Chris Lucas
www.73-87chevytrucks.com
www.captkaoscustoms.com
Project Su
Jimmy 2WD Project

Offline Corso 1

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2005, 08:17:00 PM »
Sir-

Check your phone book for any shops that perform specialized rear-end work. They can usually check what you've got and then sell you the appropriate parts. They will usually do the work for you too, but that sort of blows the $$$ saving idea.

As for the 84's launching problem, I have to agree with Rounded. As long as your trans isn't slipping, the only other reason for not getting the spin is lack of power, which usually equates to incorrect timing, carburetion, or tuning. A lot of folks make the mistake of "laundry listing" their engine combinations, which usually results in looking and sounding good, but little to no actual power gains. i.e.- A larger CFM carb has no benefit on an engine that is not built to handle the extra volume as well as exhaust it. I have seen a lot of high dollar investments beaten by a well planned combination.

Best of luck to you both, and I hope you find what you're looking for.

Corso

Offline 1bad86c10

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2005, 10:16:00 PM »
you can get an eaton from randy's for 350 just bought good stuff!!!