Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
A lot of folks will say "run both!" plumb from one to another...I don't subscribe to that theory.  I much prefer the solo cooler, as big as you can fit.  JMHO.
Engine/Drivetrain / Re: 357 (350 - .40 Over) Build Questions Etc
« Last post by Shifty on Today at 11:01:19 AM »
I bought a:
Stant Superstat ® Premium Thermostat , 180 Degree
The description of the thermostat says:
Premium Superstat thermostat.
Uses high venturi for maximum cooling capacity during high temperature, high load oepration.
25% larger piston in diameter that delivers 1 1/2 the power of standard thermostats.
Stanless steel flange is burnished to a bright finish for stress relief and added corrosion resistance.
Thicker flange.
Fit type: Vehicle Specific
I bet your truck will do wheelies now... ;D
This makes zero sense. To get at it in order to gut it you'd have remove it and then reinstall, so what exactly are you gaining? Just replace it while it's out if you need to. Next, if you were to gut it, what now isolates the two channels? You essentially give yourself a single channel braking system by tying all channels back together. I can see if you are replacing all of your lines and say to yourself, boy I'd really like to look at my combination valve rather than it be out of site.  :o

Good point.  ;D
With that said, if I replace my MC and PV with new fancy Wilwood parts I will need to run new hardlines too I guess.  :P
« Last post by JohnnyPopper on April 22, 2024, 10:55:25 PM »
I bought a:
Uses high venturi for maximum cooling capacity during high temperature, high load oepration.
25% larger piston in diameter that delivers 1 1/2 the power of standard thermostats.
Stanless steel flange is burnished to a bright finish for stress relief and added corrosion resistance.
Thicker flange.

Curious

Wiki: "In inviscid fluid dynamics, an incompressible fluid's velocity must increase as it passes through a constriction in accord with the principle of mass continuity, while its static pressure must decrease in accord with the principle of conservation of mechanical energy (Bernoulli's principle). Thus, any gain in kinetic energy a fluid may attain by its increased velocity through a constriction is balanced by a drop in pressure".

« Last post by Mike81K10 on April 22, 2024, 09:55:58 PM »
I bought a:
Thicker flange.
Instrumentation / Re: Tachometer for 81 Chevy k10
« Last post by Mike81K10 on April 22, 2024, 09:48:31 PM »
The gauges I currently have is: Speedo, Fuel, Oil, Bat, Temp, and a Clock. I figure I will need a tachometer gauge with my new engine. Would not mind removing the clock, just don't think it will fit there. My Speedometer and Fuel are the large gauges.
Instrumentation / Re: Tachometer for 81 Chevy k10
« Last post by JohnnyPopper on April 22, 2024, 07:41:48 PM »
Hey Mike, it's now called a tacho. Just fyi... ;D
« Last post by JohnnyPopper on April 22, 2024, 07:39:23 PM »
Your Thermostat isn't going to open up any further...

Unless they make a HV unit  ::)

Be my luck that someone does...
Engine/Drivetrain / Transmission cooling lines in new aluminum radiator
« Last post by JohnnyPopper on April 22, 2024, 07:29:47 PM »
In replacing my radiator, I noticed the tank fittings were 1/2 inch instead of 5/8, looking inside, the opening was roughly 1/4 inch diameter.

I called the distributor, was told not to worry, aluminum is more efficient at cooling. So much for a 'factory fit' replacement.

The transmission is a '66 GM THD 425, and the cooling lines are definitely a higher capacity.

I thought I could laser measure the temp after a run to see if the trans is running hotter then the engine by a significant percentage.

Being ignorant of transmission design, I don't know if this obvious restriction is severe, or if the 'flow volume' of oil is not that great.

It's not that there are load issues.

The question is: should I worry? and/or add an outboard cooler, bypassing the wimpy one?

As always, thanks in advance for you help!

Engine/Drivetrain / Re: No vac dizzy
« Last post by bd on April 22, 2024, 07:23:01 PM »
Dem little green leaves in dem dizzy tachos aint cilantro, my friend!!   WooHoo!!!    ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10