Author Topic: 81 c10 instrument cluster no lights, fuel gauge acting up when lights on  (Read 1834 times)

Offline Walnut777

I found the exact problem I am having on a google search but the original poster never came back to post what fixed it. I have an 81 c10 Scottsdale. No instrument cluster lights. I installed a new headlight switch because it was cheap and a good guess. Didn't work. What happens is when I pull the light switch to running lights or headlights. My turn signals lights on the dash come on and stay on, the fuel hand drops to empty and still no instrument lights. I have checked for loose grounds around the truck. None so far. Im going to pull the instrument cluster soon and was wondering what to look for back there. Fuse is good. Also Im gonna pull that old aftermarket stereo and see what kind of mess they made behind there. Any info would be greatly appreciated. This is my first squarebody so Im new these trucks. Thanks!

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
9 times out of ten it is the plastic printed circuit on back of the speedometer cluster. 
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Walnut777

thanks for the reply. Ill look into that.

Offline Walnut777

Fixed it! I went to a local junkyard about 1/2 a mile from the house. I found a really nice instrument cluster but it was for a diesel with overdrive.
The circuit board looked great compared to mine. I got it for $10 bucks.

I plugged it in and everything worked perfect!

I took it out and swapped the fuel gauge bc this one said "diesel only". I also swapped out the speedometer so I could keep my mileage true. I swapped out my oil pressure gauge bc my original had a broke needle. Then I swapped out the gear selector bc I have a 3 speed auto.  Reassembled. Everything worked great! Thanks for the advice zieg85

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Fixed it! I went to a local junkyard about 1/2 a mile from the house. I found a really nice instrument cluster but it was for a diesel with overdrive.
The circuit board looked great compared to mine. I got it for $10 bucks.

I plugged it in and everything worked perfect!

I took it out and swapped the fuel gauge bc this one said "diesel only". I also swapped out the speedometer so I could keep my mileage true. I swapped out my oil pressure gauge bc my original had a broke needle. Then I swapped out the gear selector bc I have a 3 speed auto.  Reassembled. Everything worked great! Thanks for the advice zieg85
You are welcome.  On a side note while googling this problem in 2004 when I first got the truck I found this forum which had that remedy.  I too went to my local pick and pull and found a nice one with a clock and also switched my speedo and gas gauge
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/