Author Topic: front side markers/blinkers  (Read 3964 times)

Offline 79mc

front side markers/blinkers
« on: June 08, 2002, 08:30:00 AM »
I'm just about finished putting my 87 back together. The front wiring was pretty hacked up. I'm having trouble with the passengers side marker lamp/turn signal. I've checked other peoples trucks and these light are clearance and blinkers. How can this work with only single contact bulbs? The drivers side works as it should but the passengers is clearance only.

Thanks DougV>

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
Re: front side markers/blinkers
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2002, 05:30:00 AM »
hmm, check your ground connections, and make sure you have the correct bulbs. Perhaps you can elaborate more on your problem.

~Captain's Log~

,                           ___ 
                         /  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

74 GMC, 75 K5, 84 GMC, 85 K20, 86 k20, 79 K10

Offline 79mc

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2002, 02:31:00 PM »
I'm referring to the lights that mount in the fender. They are the lights that are the same as dash light bulbs. One wire is ground and one wire is hot. On my truck the drivers blinks with the blinker. The passengers does not. They both light up with the parking lights. When you turn the lights on and the left blinker it blinks. When you turn the blinker off it stays lit like a parking light should. The passengers side lights with the park lights and never blinks with or without the headlights on. Eventhe hazards don't make it blink. I think it is supposed to blink as the drivers one does. The front marker lights/blinkers work as they should. I just don't understand how a light with only one filiment can do 2 fuctions at the same time.

DougV>

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2002, 08:16:00 PM »
Those single filament lights go out and back on. That is how they blink. All of the signals are working on the right hand side? front and rear? If so It sounds like you have an open in the ckt. If you have all of the signals flashing properly except the right front side light I would check the pins in the connector @ the steering column to see if they are all seated properly. Does the signal flash if you manually move the lever?

~Captain's Log~

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline 79mc

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2002, 09:24:00 PM »
I understand how a single filiment bulb can flash. I just don't understand how it could also be a marker light at the same time. Like the rear tailights have a dual contact dual filiment bulb. Everthing else on the truck works as it should except the horn. I haven't looked into that yet but I don't think it's related to this problem at all.

DougV>

Offline VileZambonie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2002, 10:35:00 PM »
Quote:
I understand how a single filiment bulb can flash. I just don't understand how it could also be a marker light at the same time

I don't understand what you don't understand. If you understand how it flashes than you understand that it is normally on with the parking lights and gets cancelled with the turn signal. Do you have a wiring diagram? If not I'll try to scan one for you.

~Captain's Log~

/  _ _ _\_
              ⌠ŻŻŻŻŻ'   [☼===☼]
              `()_);-;()_)--o--)_)

Offline 79mc

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2002, 04:26:00 PM »
That's what I didn't understand. That the parking lights on the sides get cancelled when the parking lights get turned on, as opposed to the style of bulb with two filiments and two sontacts, that when you turn the signals on they blink but the parking side stays lit. Thank you I will recheck where I tapped into for the side marker lights.

DougV>

PS No I don't have a schematic