Author Topic: Compact Fluorescent Bulbs...beware...  (Read 3658 times)

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
Compact Fluorescent Bulbs...beware...
« on: December 06, 2010, 06:30:42 PM »
My dad has slowly converted most of his incandescent bulbs with the compact fluorescent.  Anyway a lamp used in his family room that is only on when he is watching TV, maybe 3 hours a day average over a 6 month period, more this time of year because it gets dark so soon.  The lamp was flickering some and he started smelling something, just then sparks started flying hitting him and bouncing off his head, the table with newspapers on it.  He then as quick as a 72 year old could unplugged the lamp.  It took 10 minutes before it was cool enough to touch the bulb and it ruined the socket it was in and surely would have started a fire if he wouldn't have acted so quickly...  I am going to write whoever will listen to its potential fire hazard.  I wanted to warn my favorite forum friends to not leave any unattended.  I took the bulb in case UL was interested and wanted to look at it after I try to contact them...
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline topp

• Frequent Member
Re: Compact Fluorescent Bulbs...beware...
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2010, 06:52:30 PM »
Besides reports like this they contain MERCURY and if you throw them in the garbage you are destroying the environment....
'90 Suburban TBI 350

Offline Lt.Del

• Andy aka:SgtDel
  • DelbridgePhotography.com
    • www.delbridge.net
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2010, 11:25:34 PM »
but they save energy.  How much energy would be expelled to tear down a burnt house and build a new in in its place, with bulldozers, electricity for saws cutting lumber-painting the house, gas for trucks to bring the supplies, all materials needed for the house (shingles, lumber, carpet, siding, bricks, windows, insulation, wires, appliances, furniture, sheetrock)...

...but the flourescent bulbs save energy.

Offline Irish_Alley

• Tim
  • Global Moderator
  • Family is not an important thing. It's everything.
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 12:05:12 AM »
save on your energy bill i think is the key work and it will cause you wont be using it when your house burns down
If you can’t tell yourself the truth, who can you tell it to?~Irish_Alley

When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth ~Sherlock Holmes

Offline Dr_Snooz

• "I like to take hammers, and just break stuff"
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 12:58:31 AM »
Yikes! That's terrible. Thanks for the heads up.
1989 Chevy Suburban V-2500, 5.7L, TH400

1990 Chevy C-3500 Ext. Cab, 7.4L, 3L80

2009 Chevy Silverado 1500 WT 4WD, 4.8L, 4L60

Offline cbgrant74

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2010, 11:20:33 AM »
Congress has banned incandescent bulbs; starting in 2012 you won't be able to buy good, old-fashioned light bulbs!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs#Federal_legislation

When I heard this (a couple of years ago), I figured out how many 40- 60- 75- and 100-watt bulbs I would need for the rest of my life (or at least until I would be too senile to care).  I came up with about 1400 bulbs.  I waited until they were on sale (about 25 cents apiece) and I stocked up.

No CFL's for me!

Offline Stewart G Griffin

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 02:27:05 PM »
i had the same problem in my garage---i thought it was just a fluke.  Great!  Another thing i don't have time to investigate!

Offline zieg85

• Global Moderator
    • 73-87 GM squarebody extended cab and conversions up to 91 R/V series
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2010, 03:18:32 PM »
i had the same problem in my garage---i thought it was just a fluke.  Great!  Another thing i don't have time to investigate!

Just got an email from a follow up voice mail... UL asked me to send the bulb to them.  I will report their findings on this thread.
Carl 
1985 C20 Scottsdale 7.4L 4 speed 3.21
1986 C10 under construction
https://www.facebook.com/groups/248658382003506/

Offline Grim 82

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2010, 03:29:27 PM »
Yet another reason to not use this inferior technology. The very real and immediate threat of fire and mercury poison bothers me quite a bit more than the very hypothetical and politicized threat of destroying our environment by not spending more money on the newest trendy lightbulb. But, what do I know, I don't even use cats or a smog pump.

Mercury filled bulbs help ensure that we leave the next generation with a healthy planet in which to raise their 2-headed 6-toed possum babies.
Give a man a gun, and he might rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he might rob the world.

Offline Canadian 4X4

• Frequent Member
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2010, 04:18:29 PM »
I wouldnt send the bulb away I would just take lots of pics of it and send them the pictures. if you give them the bulb you may never hear from them again. They have your evidence now